Twin Peaks: New Season Two Music Soundtrack Track Listing

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

guest315
Roadhouse Member

Post by guest315 »

Last edited by guest315 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

guest315 wrote:Did David Lynch made the CD cover himself? If so he should stick to movie making only :wink: I don't like the Gold Box design but it's far better then this poor "attempt". A bit harsh maybe but :wink:
Right. We may not like the concept of the gold box design but at least the execution of it is very professional.
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

It's highly unlikely David Lynch designed the cover. I feel bad for whoever was responsible because they're apparently not very good at their chosen profession but it's just a CD cover. The gold box almost sent me over the edge because it'll be lying around my house for years to come and it's so... gold. Once the new CD's ripped to my iPod it'll be thrown in a cupboard and not seen for months at a time.

There isn't a huge market for this CD so it wouldn't have been financially viable to spend money on a really good graphic design company.
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

FaceInTheLeaves wrote:It's highly unlikely David Lynch designed the cover.
That's a bit how I feel

If DL did do and/or approve of these covers, it seems he has moved a long way from his usual palette of dark and earthy colours that he says he loves so much. These seem to be getting more bright and garish, Krusty the Clown on acid :D
Last edited by snikgrif on Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Si

http://www.facebook.com/twinpeaksdeletedscenespetition

''I may be the sole pirate here with the use of only one hand.''
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Would much prefer to have Ross' artwork than the one we're getting. Still, I suppose it's the music that counts, so I'll be getting this CD even if the cover is no more than a blank page with 'Henry's Hair is shit' written on it. Have to say, Ross's design is much more in keeping with the tone of the series.

As for Jaybo's comment that there is 'good reason' for each IE cover, does anyone know what those reasons might be? I for one am baffled.
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

snikgrif wrote:
FaceInTheLeaves wrote:It's highly unlikely David Lynch designed the cover.
That's a bit how I feel

If DL did do and/or approve of these covers, it seems he has moved a long way from his usual palette of dark and earthy colours that he says he loves so much. These seem to be getting more bright and garish, Krusty the Clown on acid :D
That's why I don't think he had anything to do with that cover. I must admit the exhibition posted for The Air Is On Fire came as a hideous shock and if I hadn't seen it outside the Fondation Cartier with my own eyes I would have thought it was a hoax. Apart from that I loved all the INLAND EMPIRE promotional material and the DVD covers, which suffered from being cheaply made. The Short Films has what is possibly my favourite DVD cover of all time and I really like the home made feel of the other Absurda Lynch DVDs (Eraserhead 2000, Dynamic No.1 and Dumbland). It makes me happy that DL had the freedom to release Dynamic No.1 and Dumbland as experiments without being restricted by excessive production costs.

If DL had designed the CD cover I'm certain it would look nothing like that - it'd be less cluttered, not so garish and would use proper stills instead of what appears to be screen captures. I don't believe it's the finished artwork and if it is, it's not a disaster so much as a missed opportunity. The artwork for Music From Twin Peaks and the Fire Walk With Me sountrack were outstanding and the Laura/Little Man design lets the side down but as I said in my last post, this isn't a major release like the last two and the money probably isn't there for something great.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I can confirm that Lynch approved the new artwork. As to who designed it, I guess we'll find out when the CD is released in the credits section.

-B
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

FaceInTheLeaves wrote:
There isn't a huge market for this CD
You're probably right, but isn't the Twin Peaks soundtrack one of the most high-profile soundtracks ever released, certainly from a TV show? The TP soundtrack is ubiquitous in stores over here. It strikes me that a lot of people might consider dipping into a second CD if they only knew about it. I hope stores position this disc well, highlighting it in new releases and maybe alongside he DVDs. Though, sadly, the cover might put non-devotees off.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I think if it is promoted right with the release of the Gold Box set, it could do very well.

One thing that I have realized is that the track "Shelly" is most likely not the track on Angelo's site. The song on the CD has a runtime of 2:17 while the version on Angelo's site is roughly 1:47. I did a quick comparison and the version on Angelo's site is quite different than the version in Episode 14.

The Episode 14 version starts off with drums and bass only and then the strings fade in after about 1 bar.

The version on Angelo's site features strings in the behgining followed by a new pretty melody. (Not sure what instrument. Maybe harpsichord) half way through to the end.

I timed the version on the Episode 14 and it is almost exactly 2:17. So I guess what I am trying to say is that the version on Angelo's MySpace page is an alternate version that will not be on the CD. The version from Episode 14 will be on the CD.

That is based on my deductive detective skills and my affinity for being a Twin Peaks nerd.

-B
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

dugpa wrote:I think if it is promoted right with the release of the Gold Box set, it could do very well.

One thing that I have realized is that the track "Shelly" is most likely not the track on Angelo's site. The song on the CD has a runtime of 2:17 while the version on Angelo's site is roughly 1:47. I did a quick comparison and the version on Angelo's site is quite different than the version in Episode 14.

The Episode 14 version starts off with drums and bass only and then the strings fade in after about 1 bar.

The version on Angelo's site features strings in the behgining followed by a new pretty melody. (Not sure what instrument. Maybe harpsichord) half way through to the end.

I timed the version on the Episode 14 and it is almost exactly 2:17. So I guess what I am trying to say is that the version on Angelo's MySpace page is an alternate version that will not be on the CD. The version from Episode 14 will be on the CD.

That is based on my deductive detective skills and my affinity for being a Twin Peaks nerd.

-B
That is above and beyond the call of duty. Without cracking open the DVDs myself, am I right in thinking the music should be slightly similar, at least? If not, there's another piece that people will be clamouring to buy via download.

Should your detective skills reveal that either the first or the last track does happen to be the 'Ben Horne Great Northern cinefilm music' - one of the few pieces of music with the distinction of playing over the closing credits no less! - I will owe you a slice of cherry pie.:)
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I think there is a good chance that one of those is the track you are hoping for. I'll have to break out the DVDs again to check the running time against the version that runs against the credits. Do you remember which Episode it was from?

Originally I thought that track 1 was the piano only version of the love theme that Angelo posted on his site originally last year and has since took down, but I have it written down that that track was roughly 1:38 so I'm guessing that track also didn't make it to the CD.
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

If the piano version of the Love Theme is missing from the CD I'm going to be distraught. It'll be a horrible trauma I'll probably never recover from.
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

I most definitely think the slow guitar version from episode 18 will be track number one on the CD, also known as "Falling" or "Twin Peaks Theme". I am quite certain the last song on the CD will be the piano version of "Laura Palmer's Theme" or "Love Theme From Twin Peaks". This makes perfect sense as these are the songs that opened and ended almost every episode. I think there were only 3 episodes that didn't end with the Laura Palmer theme: episodes 8, 14 and 18.
Fall_of_Sophia
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fall_of_Sophia »

That's why I don't think he had anything to do with that cover. I must admit the exhibition posted for The Air Is On Fire came as a hideous shock and if I hadn't seen it outside the Fondation Cartier with my own eyes I would have thought it was a hoax.[quote]

Why? The art was excellent, in particular the series of Bob paintings, and the brightly coloured ones like Do you want to know what I really think and Well I can dream can't I

I like the cover. 8)
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

dugpa wrote:I think there is a good chance that one of those is the track you are hoping for. I'll have to break out the DVDs again to check the running time against the version that runs against the credits. Do you remember which Episode it was from?
On the US Season 2 DVD release it is episode 18 - it plays while Ben Horne is watching the cinefilm during the episode, and again over the credits. It is played during season one (episode 7, I think) over Nadine's suicide attempt.

It is short, but then there could be a longer version on the CD, which would pretty much make my year.
Last edited by jdh.goodgrief on Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.