Twin Peaks: New Season Two Music Soundtrack Track Listing

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Sam Howzit wrote:I believe the Barbershop could refer to the Barbershop Quartet singing in Episode 2002 (or #9 depending upon your preference for numbering). This is the scene where Cooper tells Albert about King Ho Ho Ho at breakfast. There is a quartet singing in the background.
This was my first thought too, but I can't believe it if it's that piece. That must be the single most obscure piece of music in the whole series. They're not even singing a real song, are they? Just harmonizing a bit? I didn't really like that touch either. That and the bouncing ball convention or whatever it is in ep. 14 seem like Lynch veering off into self-parody. It doesn't have the comic spook of, say, the old room service waiter or Mike repeating "a house... made of wood... surrounded by trees!". That shit is funny!

Hank: As pointed out by others, Blue Frank is the piece right after The Pink Room in Partyland. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35Vmefg88EI
"Truthahn im Maisfeld" :lol:
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Sam Howzit
Roadhouse Member

Barbershop Quartet

Post by Sam Howzit »

The Barbershop Quartet crooning scene is about 3:45 minutes. While it sounds like they are just harmonizing at first, there seems to be some type of tune. Perhaps repeated?

It would be pretty obscure track as I think it is the only time we hear the tune in the entire series. There is an ominous cue that is mixed toward the end of the quartet's tune (I believe where Cooper is being watched - from about 3:10-3:45).

What I do know is that the sound mix in Lynch's episodes are like mini-movies. There is continuous music / drones / etc mixed through the entire episodes. Not every episode by other directors has such a thing. In all my years of watching the series, I never realized how Lynch's episodes stand out from the rest (from a sound mix perspective). He really does love sound (which is probably why he has been quoted as saying the upcoming "gold box" sounds great).
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

jmichael wrote:
Ross wrote:
jdh.goodgrief wrote:I was really hoping that the long piece of music played when Ben Horne is reminiscing over old cine film of the Great Northern opening (also heard over Nadine's suicide attempt) would make it too, but I don't think it's there - I believe its called Remembrances.
I'm pretty sure this variant of "Laura Palmer's Theme" will be either the first or last track. (One of the "Love Themes"). Remember that the "Love Theme From Twin Peaks" on the Original Soundtrack is a version of "Laura Palmer's Theme".
But the track(s) Ross is talking about is a guitar version of "Falling" (Main TP theme), not "Laura Palmer's Theme," which is what the "Love Theme" is
based on. I'm curious as to exactly what those first and last tracks are...

I was really hoping for the "Falling" tracks too, Ross. Perhaps in the next volume?!?!
Oh jeez, you're right! My mistake. For some reason, I was thinking the track in the Ben scene was "Laura Palmer's Theme", but yeah, its def. "Falling". Now I'm even more curious to find out what the first & last tracks are.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Now available for pre-order. Click below to pre-order at Amazon.com and help support the site.

Pre-Order the Twin Peaks New Season 2 Soundtrack at Amazon.com
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

Hi Dugpa,

Do you have any idea if this will see an international release? Nothing yet on amazon.co.uk. Then again, if it isn't out in Britain the same day as the US, I won't be waiting - I'll order from Amazon.com using that link!

Fingers crossed the numbers add up for a third disc (4th if you count FWWM) but, if not, do you think there is a chance that extra music would be made available through a paid download service? I would pay a princely sum to get 'Remembrances', and thus complete my collection of sought-after Peaks music.
Auggeo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Auggeo »

Do you think this will include some finger snappy jazz? i really enjoy those variations of freshly squeezed (especially the upbeat version in the beginning of episode 102)
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

jdh.goodgrief wrote:Hi Dugpa,

Do you have any idea if this will see an international release? Nothing yet on amazon.co.uk. Then again, if it isn't out in Britain the same day as the US, I won't be waiting - I'll order from Amazon.com using that link!

Fingers crossed the numbers add up for a third disc (4th if you count FWWM) but, if not, do you think there is a chance that extra music would be made available through a paid download service? I would pay a princely sum to get 'Remembrances', and thus complete my collection of sought-after Peaks music.
I'll check it out. I'm sure eventually it should get a UK release eventually but I'll confirm if it is the same day.

I have been told that there are no plans at this time for another CD to be released but I am guessing if this release is a success, it could potentially spawn additional releases.

-B
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

dugpa wrote:

I'll check it out. I'm sure eventually it should get a UK release eventually but I'll confirm if it is the same day.

I have been told that there are no plans at this time for another CD to be released but I am guessing if this release is a success, it could potentially spawn additional releases.

-B
Thanks, it's appreciated. Sell them on the download idea.:)
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I got confirmation that the Twin Peaks Season 2 Soundtrack will be available worldwide. They did not have release dates outside of the US but what I would suggest is that you wait to place your order until a few days before the US release date. In the meantime, keep checking the UK online shops. If something comes up by then then go local, but if it's still not announced by then and you have to get it on the day it is released then place your order with Amazon US.

If I hear of a UK release date or any dates outside of the US, I'll post them or update this thread.

Hope this helps.

-B
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I was thinking about it, and I don't think that the instrumental version of "Questions In A World of Blue" appeared for the first time in the scene with Audrey praying to Agent Cooper. It was in the scene in the 2nd season premiere in the RR when Major Briggs tells Bobby about his dream. I believe that's actually the first time its heard.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I think you're right. Well, there goes that theory. I'd be interested to see how Lynch has chosen the names.

-B
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

dugpa wrote:I think you're right. Well, there goes that theory. I'd be interested to see how Lynch has chosen the names.

-B
I would think maybe Badalamenti came up with the track names? Actually, I was wondering if these tunes had names back then, or if they've just now come up with the track titles for this release.
Sam Howzit
Roadhouse Member

"Questions" or "Space For Love"

Post by Sam Howzit »

I was thinking about it, and I don't think that the instrumental version of "Questions In A World of Blue" appeared for the first time in the scene with Audrey praying to Agent Cooper. It was in the scene in the 2nd season premiere in the RR when Major Briggs tells Bobby about his dream. I believe that's actually the first time its heard
Sorry to crash the conversation. I'd have to second that. From what I can tell, Major Briggs telling Bobby about the dream was the first time "Questions" was heard.

Funny thing is that I always thought that "Audrey Praying to Cooper" theme sounded awfully similar to "Space For Love" from Julee Cruise's album "The Voice of Love." Am I the only one to think so? If you listen to the two tracks (Maj. Briggs Dream and Audrey Praying) sequentially, they sound different. I also seem to recall the same "Audrey Praying" theme used when James and Donna have their farewell picnic in Episode 2016.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

dugpa wrote:I think you're right. Well, there goes that theory. I'd be interested to see how Lynch has chosen the names.

-B
I think your naming theory stilll kinda works- the Major Briggs/Bobby scene and the Audrey praying scene are both from the same episode (the second season premiere). So even though the Briggs scene is the first time the track is heard, the Audey scene is still in the first EPISODE the track is featured.
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

dugpa wrote:

I got confirmation that the Twin Peaks Season 2 Soundtrack will be available worldwide. They did not have release dates outside of the US but what I would suggest is that you wait to place your order until a few days before the US release date. In the meantime, keep checking the UK online shops. If something comes up by then then go local, but if it's still not announced by then and you have to get it on the day it is released then place your order with Amazon US.

If I hear of a UK release date or any dates outside of the US, I'll post them or update this thread.

Hope this helps.

-B
You're a class act!