Twin Peaks Season 2 Music and More CD Review

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Twin Peaks Season 2 Music and More CD Review

Post by dugpa »

CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS...

Go no further if you want to be surprised upon first time listening...

http://www.dugpa.com/review_cd.php
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Hey B- that's absolutely wonderful!!! I can't wait to be able to hear it!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

great review, dugpa. Can't, can't, can't wait for Tuesday!
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Thanks Annie and Audrey. By the way Audrey, you are going to flip when you see on of the photos of Audrey Horne in the CD booklet. It's probably one of the best photos I have ever seen of Fenn as Audrey from the pilot.

-B
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Great review Dugpa! C'mon Amazon, ship that disc!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

Thanks for that Dugpa! I had feared Just You would be instrumental, so I'm delighted to hear it is not, and to hear that Hook Rug Dance is a longer version. I can't wait to hear this CD, even if I remain slightly disappointed that the Great Northern cinefilm track isn't there. I share your hope that, one day soon, Mr Lynch and Mr Badalamenti will get even more of their music to us. Thanks again for all you have done for this CD.
bmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by bmiller »

Thanks so much for the great CD review !!! I read it, spoilers and all, and am just really excited for amazon.com to ship it to me. I also want to take the time to thank you personally, Brian, for all you do for us just by having this fantastic website @ www.dugpa.com. It is just amazing all the information and news you manage to track down for us concerning all things Lynchian. :D :D :D

In the U.S., is there really any other website concerning Lynch which so blatantly displays its devotion to David Lynch and his universe. And if that weren't enough you started these fabulous Discussion Forums. Mike isn't the man. YOU ARE THE MAN, BRIAN !!!
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

grrrrrr

why MUST they have montaqes????

Seriously the three tracks I have been waiting for forever, the evil woods tracks, are all part of the two montage tracks.....

I am loving this cd, dont get me wrong, but why must everything be jazzy upbeat music?? it is as if they neglect the moody portion of the music.

At least I get the Season 2 Love Theme, but I would prefer to have these tracks separated

1. The song where Cooper shoots the rock in Earles box in the gazebo

2. The piece that plays as Cooper and Harry rescue Audrey, as well as when Audrey is in the wall

3. The glastonbury Grove theme!!! I mean how can this be a part of a mix?? that song was all over the series finale when Coop is staring at the map... and it is in a montage? I also fear we wont get the "How's Annie" part of that song either.

dont get me wrong im STILL excited and plan to make a special 2 cd version of all three albums together but there are some missing stuff i still want
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

Thought I'd copy this here, having probably posted it in the wrong thread:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, after more than half a lifetime of waiting, I finally just listened to 'Just You' and 'Hook Rug Dance' in crystal clear audio. Both are simply stunning, and the definite highlights of this impressive disc. Other very welcome tracks include 'High School Swing' (which brought a definite smile to my face), 'Half Heart', which we've all come to love on Angelo's MySpace page, 'Shelly' and 'Drug Deal Blues', which is unusual as I don't often like the style of that last track. Harold's Theme, Blue Frank and Audrey's Prayer ae pleasing too, while the Love Themes offer enough of a new spin on an old sound to be interesting. There are tracks that don't really add much to what we already have - particularly Audrey, and ones that focus on jazy noodlings similar to some tracks on the first CD: Laura's Dark Boogie, for instance. There are also tracks I'd prefer left off - Hayward Boogie, I'm Hurt Bad, Cop Beat, Barbershop and Dark Mood Woods/The Red Room - but they are not much to skip through on an otherwise splendid 22 track CD. The photos were well chosen, and also brought back memories.

I'm delighted to have this in my collection, but I still hope we get to hear more in the future, one way or another. Remembrances (from Ben Horne's cinefilm moment) would have graced this album, while the disc really lacks a new spin on Falling, where the wonderful version played in part at the end of that cinefilm scene, then fully during the MT Wentz revelation scene at the Double R, would have been perfect. There are plenty more candidates for a further disc: James' 50s motorbiking theme, full versions of the tracks condensed into 'Montage From Twin Peaks' on the FWWM soundtrack... There is the potential there for another disc equal in quality to this one. Fingers crossed the sales persuade them to go for another full release, offer a more limited website release, or even offer paid downloads. There is far more money to be had!

16 years on, the collection just got all the sweeter, fingers crossed it will be perfect before I'm in my 40s...

Just listened to Hook Rug Dance again - it is truly sensational! And to hear an extended version after all this time is such a privilege. I can only imagine what a wonderul job Angelo could do with an extended version of Remembrances. The sound quality on this CD is stunning.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Dugpa's review is all anyone would need, but i thought i would add my two cents with my initial impression:

Love Theme Intro) This makes a nice overture to the album. The montage does not bother me at all. 9/10

Shelly) We know it. We love it. 10/10

New Shoes) Nice. Surprised they included this one for some reason. It rambles a bit. This one could grow on me. 8.5/10

High School Swing) Love it! This one screams season two! 10/10

Haywood Boogie) Just the thought that Alicia Witt did this gets it a 10/10
I had a really profound dream about Alicia Witt once. I sent it in to Penthouse letters but i don't think they ever published it... :wink:

Blue Frank) From FWWM 9/10

Audrey's Prayer) Pure season two bliss 10/10

I'm Hurt Bad) They dropped the ball here i'm afraid. Not only is there only a fraction of I'm Hurt Bad included, but the version of Malcom's Plot (or whatever you wanna call it) they use is inferior. It's short and not as clean as the bootleg version floating around. When i think of 'I'm Hurt Bad', i think of Bobby at the Double RR in the pilot. However, by linking it with the Evelyn/Malcom theme...I don't know... 6/10

Cop Beat) Unreleased. It's hard to relate to this track at all as it was never in the series. 6/10

Harold's Theme) Incredible. This sounds so crisp and wonderful. A revelation! 10/10

Barber Shop) Nice. 8.5/10

Night Bells) Some nice guitar noodlings. 8.5/10

Just You and I) Love the effects on this track. 9/10

Drug Deal Blues) Great blues track. 9/10

Audrey) This is where the montage does not work. I could be wrong, but the percussion sounds new and it overpowers things in my opinion. There is a much cleaner version of Audrey's Secret Passage around and i would have loved them to include that. 5/10

Josie and Truman) Dugpa was right. This is an amazing track. This is like listening to a top Blue Note Jazz album from the mid-60's. Just a revelation! This was so good that Badalementi basically remade this track as the opening theme to 'On The Air' (If anyone out there has bootleg music from OTA, please please PM me) 10/10

Hook Rug Dance) Amazing of course! 10/10

Packard's Vibrations) There is a simple montage to start and it works. 9.5/10

Half Heart) From FWWM 9/10

Laura's Dark Boogie) From FWWM 9/10

Dark Mood Woods/The Red Room) The money shot! I never thought they would release as long of a version as they did. This track makes up for any other short fallings on the disc. 10/10

Love Theme Farewell) This is connected to the previous track via a wind effect and it's great if you like the way they connected the songs. The way they did this may grow on me. 9/10

Oh and the photos in the booklet are amazing! All but a few i had never seen before!

There are SO many more tracks to be released yet...
Last edited by Jerry Horne on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

New Shoes only an 8.5! :shock:

New Shoes breaks the scale for me. :)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Initial impression only!
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I've been listening to it all weekend nonstop, pretty much! Which doesn't say much for me, but never mind. The percussion from "Audrey" was used in the series, in Ep 14, when Audrey comes to Cooper at the Sheriff's station and tells him that she suspects her father of being the killer ("holy smokes!"). But I have to say that track is pretty useless for me; I would rather they have used the music from the smorgasboard scene. I skip over that and "Cop Beat." Everything else though is pretty divine and I feel extremely fortunate to have had this released at all. I never thought it would actually happen! I'd love to see a 3rd disc and I'm hoping the strong pre-sales will help drive that towards being a reality. But whether or not that happens, this CD has really made my day/week/month.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

TheArm wrote:The percussion from "Audrey" was used in the series, in Ep 14, when Audrey comes to Cooper at the Sheriff's station and tells him that she suspects her father of being the killer ("holy smokes!"). But I have to say that track is pretty useless for me.
Ah ok. It's been over ten years since i've seen an episode and i just did not recognize it. Odd mix for sure.

Anyone else detect positive signals about a future release in the text on the inside cover?
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

This CD is now #60 in Amazon's CD sales chart!