Twin Peaks Season 2 Music and More CD Review

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

It was still pretty nice, though. So thanks! :)
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

Okay, I finally got the damn thing (should have arrived weeks ago from Amazon).

It's amazing. Just amazing. "New Shoes" is a fave for me too, but I like them all. "Half Heart" is wonderful. Nice to have "I'm Hurt Bad" too, I have only heard the long version once on "Industrial Symphony" so I don't mind if it's shortened. It's very short on the pilot anyway. I like the minor tracks too, like "High School Swing", "Hayward Boogie" and "Barbershop". Nice to have "Harold's theme" and "Josie and Truman" finally. And man oh man, the long moods/lodge track is amazing.

In my opinion this is way, way better than the first season soundtrack, and possibly as good as FWWM. (If "Sycamore Trees" had been on here instead of FWWM it would probably have topped it.)

I'm also surprised the design on the rest of the cover is so good. The credits page, the back cover and the booklet photos are all fine. Which begs the question - yet again - why on earth did they settle for that godawful front cover?
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

I don't feel very manly saying this since I am a guy, but Audrey's Prayer is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard in my entire life.
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

That's a weird hang-up! Do you speak in controlled grunts too?
nix1980
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks Season 2 Music and More CD Review

Post by nix1980 »

01. Love Theme Intro *** out of 5
- not quite a fan for reworking old themes. It's not bad ofcourse, but it's very short, too much "echoish" and I don't need it.

02. Shelly ****1/2
- beautiful... sad... heaven.. one of my faves from soundtrack... too bad it is so short (like many themes on this CD)

03. New Shoes ****
- I like it very much, but I would like that I can hear louder those instrument (don't know how to call it in English)... also too much echo. What I just said probably doesn't make sense, but whatever :mrgreen:

04. High School Swing ****
- nice... listening such innocent melody always means that something terrible will happen. :lol:

05. Hayward Boogie ****
- like this one.. very catchy.

06. Blue Frank **
- I really don't like this one. It's repetitive and not inventive. Probably good for mood in movie, but as stand alone on soundtrack sounds too much annoying and it is too long. I like "Pink Room" much more than this one. This one sounds like bad copy of Pink Room.

07. Audrey's Prayer ***
- With great "Questions In A World Of Blue" I actualy don't need this... however, it is nice instrumental, but missing something IMO... probably vocal by Julee Cruise?

08. I'm Hurt Bad ****
- Very good... begining is funny and like something from Beetlejuice :mrgreen: 2nd part is dark and I really like it... too bad that melody doesn't build more into something slightly different... or that it is at least longer. still I really like mood.

09. Cop Beat ***
- don't know what to think about this one... interesting... yet, not enough interesting.

10. Harold's Theme *****
- this is really great theme... pure magic... too bad it is shorter than 2 minutes.

11. Barbershop **1/2
- hmm... whatever

12. Night Bells **1/2
- nice mood, overall, not any melody.. still it would be interesting to hear this in some "montage" more than stand alone piece.

13. Just You *****
- oh my... guilty pleasure... I like it... it's so simple, so honest and so beautiful.

14. Drug Deal Blues ***1/2
- nice change... Badalamenti capabilities for composing are much stronger than Lynch's, so I would like to hear "Blue Frank" composed by Badal. instead of Lynch.

15. Audrey ****
- I actualy like this one although it is mostly what I'ver heard before... kinda really spooky.

16. Josie and Truman ***1/2
- nice, moody... kinda sterile, but I like it. Still, not sterile or "gay" like "The Pine Float".

17. Hook Rug Dance *****
- probably most favorite from soundtrack.... truly great theme! Actualy, those "deep" sounds is what I like in Twin Peaks very much... they fit very well with main theme that also starts with that "deep" sound.

18. Packard's Vibration ****1/2
- finaly something dark in style of the beginning of Laura Palmer's Theme. Really good... but ofcourse too short.

19. Half Heart *****
- although probably too long with repetition of that one part too many times, this is still great theme and one of the best and I was very disappointed after watching FWWM and not finding this theme on soundtrack FWWM after buying it.

20. Laura's Dark Boogie ***1/2
- yes, this is one weirdo, but still interesting cacophony

21. a) Dark Mood Woods *****
- this is probably the most dark theme in Twin Peaks and that pulsing sound of synth is really scary... great theme, but I feel really weird while listening to it... :mrgreen:

b) The Red Room **
- not bad, but more for some "montage"... also too long... I Cut out beginning and the end of Dark Mood Woods and made one theme from it and The Red Room I put into my own montage of such scary and sick sounds from TP.

22. Love Theme Farewell **
sure... whatever.

Overall, it is 3.7 and I am happy!