What tracks could make up a TP Volume 3 Soundtrack?

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

guest315
Roadhouse Member

Re: What tracks could make up a TP Volume 3 Soundtrack?

Post by guest315 »

Last edited by guest315 on Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

If anyone in the know or with connections finds out, can you let us know if the TP Season 2 and More Soundtrack was a success or failure and if that release will pave the way for at least one more CD of the remaining unreleased TP music?
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Odd you should bring that up as i intended to ask that question as well. Dugpa, do you know the sales figures for the new soundtrack and the Gold box as well?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

I was also getting round to asking Dugpa if there's anything we can do to try and help get more TP music made available, either on CD (preferably) or via paid download (if all else fails).
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I asked Absurda and didn't get a response on both how the CD was doing and the chance of another one coming out. Maybe try emailing the guy that runs the Angelo Badalamenti myspace page...

-B
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

dugpa wrote:I asked Absurda and didn't get a response on both how the CD was doing and the chance of another one coming out. Maybe try emailing the guy that runs the Angelo Badalamenti myspace page...

-B
I e-mailed him asking if he could put the unreleased Love Theme back on Angelo's page, but sadly got no response...
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

Does anyone know if it would be really expensive and high risk for Absurda to put out another TP soundtrack or is it just a matter of them hearing enough interest from fans?
DigitalGhost
Roadhouse Member

Post by DigitalGhost »

I get the impression Absurda and DavidLynch.com aren't particularly well run. There was a time it'd have been possible to manufacture the CDs and sell them through the DavidLynch.com shop (no distribution costs) but prohibitively expensive shipping charges have effectively killed the shop off. Somebody needs to explain to whoever's in charge of the website that it doesn't cost $80.00 to send a DVD to the UK. And not replying to emails from the 'fans' is just bad manners. Next time there's a film, CD or DVD due to be released Absurda will be all over us like a cheap suit and we'll have to fight him/her/them/it off with a stick. I'm not impressed.
"Look at the light climbing up the aerial"
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

Does anyone know a way of contacting David Lynch, Angelo Badalamenti, Absurda,etc. to let them know we want yet another Twin Peaks soundtrack of the remaining unreleased music?
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Well, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but after months of bugging the hell out of the guys at Absurda, I finally got a response:

"There is no more music for Twin Peaks...David said this is it."

I sent another email asking whether they would consider Itunes releases or if I could post that response as the official final word on the site and got no response.

Missed opportunity in my opinion, but hey, what do I know...

-B (enjoying his first day on vacation)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

:shock: Stunned :shock:

Thanks a lot Lynch.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

dugpa wrote:"There is no more music for Twin Peaks...David said this is it."

Stunned too. Why on earth would they want to keep the rest of the music unreleased!? Such a waste.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member

Post by coolspringsj »

dugpa wrote:Well, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but after months of bugging the hell out of the guys at Absurda, I finally got a response:

"There is no more music for Twin Peaks...David said this is it."

I sent another email asking whether they would consider Itunes releases or if I could post that response as the official final word on the site and got no response.

Missed opportunity in my opinion, but hey, what do I know...

-B (enjoying his first day on vacation)
Very disheartening news.

Is it just me or does this make Lynch come off as pretentious? Why does he have such stubborn animosity towards the release of new Twin Peaks products? I don't get it at all.
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

That's ludicrous. Why turn down the chance to earn money?
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

coolspringsj wrote:Is it just me or does this make Lynch come off as pretentious? Why does he have such stubborn animosity towards the release of new Twin Peaks products? I don't get it at all.
Stubborn animosity? We just got the first wholly Lynch-approved DVD set. He has been willing to release deleted Fire Walk with Me deleted scenes and has even hand-picked 50 minutes worth of scenes. He masterminded the season two music release (which is still less than a year old), even to the extent of putting easter eggs with secret codes in it. Stubborn animosity, indeed. I don't even get what you mean by pretentious.

Has any TV show before Twin Peaks ever had two good soundtrack albums dedicated to it? I can only think of The Sopranos, and that doesn't really count since it's mostly a collection of songs and not original material. The reason we're not getting one now is because the last one was such a goldmine of great stuff. We lucked out. We got 16 year old music from a series that few cared about when it was on released in a lavish package. Will no one except 50 dedicated fans buy Dick Tremayne's theme and Badalamenti's country and Hawaii variations? Doubtfully. Most of the good stuff is here already. Yes, I'd like the rest too, but personally I'd prefer a Badalamenti/Lynch rarities collection, featuring outtakes from Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, Wild at Heart, Hotel Room, On the Air and Mulholland dr.

Releasing albums, even as downloads, costs money. Mixing, mastering, etc. You need to be able to sell quite a few for it to make sense from a business standpoint. The only way I can think of a way to sell this would be adding bonus tracks to the first soundtrack album and market it with a big sticker saying it's REMASTERED and EXPANDED and FEATURING UNRELEASED TRACKS! and with NEW PHOTOS. Or something. Those who didn't buy it the first time around might buy such a release, even if it would infuriate the fans who own the stuff already.

I do agree, though, that should there ever be a third soundtrack (or actually, fourth, counting FWWM), it should come out soon. They probably auditioned a lot of tracks that didn't make it, and maybe even mixed and readied them for release. So I'm all for some sort of release (as long as it's not iTunes).
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"