"Just You" is to music ...

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

GreatWent

"Just You" is to music ...

Post by GreatWent »

... what "Plan 9 from Outer Space" is to movies.

This song make all coherent thoughts leave my head. It's truly awe-inspring in its awfulness.
ARNIE

Post by ARNIE »

Now you've got that song stuck in my head! :evil: I think they have a picture of that scene in the CD booklet.
Evenreven
Great Northern Member

Post by Evenreven »

I agree that all coherent thoughts leave one's head, but "Just you" is amazing. I'm not kidding.
"Who's the towhead? Those drugs are LEGAL!"
DaleCooper

Post by DaleCooper »

If I try to imagine that it's someone other than James Marshall singing, I can enjoy it. But then I remember that it is him. It's complicated.
I tell you they have not died! Their hands clasp yours and mine.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I agree that the song is pants if you don't have a context for it, but I just love that scene. The combination of the sheer goofiness of it all (especially when the imaginary backing band kicks in out of thin air), the melodramatic adolescent emotions and longing, and the ethereal haze that sorta hangs over it all makes it a quintessential Lynch moment for me. Especially since it's followed moments later by Maddy's horrific BOB vision. The whole thing amounts to one of the show's most memorable sequences, IMHO.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

the ridiculousness of james and donna leads to most of bob's terrifying appearances...mainly the couch and maddy's murder. i dont know what that means.
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

It is super cheesy, but I am okay with it. I think it has an extremely ominous undercurrent to the song because everytime I hear it I think of Maddy seeing Bob crawl over the couch.
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
Zachary
Roadhouse Member

Post by Zachary »

Right now I'm watching through the series for the (something)th time, but my girlfriend is seeing it for the first time. Tonight we watched the episode in question, and even though that song is cringe-worthy it really sets a mood that makes the BOB scene quite jarring. My girlfriend was kind of snickering through the song (she finds pretty much all of the James-Donna scenes kind of silly), but she was really startled a minute later when BOB walks around the corner and over the couch.

So... say what you want about the song, but it does make that scene more effective and a lot more memorable.