"The Swan" in The Pilot

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Sam Howzit
Roadhouse Member

"The Swan" in The Pilot

Post by Sam Howzit »

Unsure if this has been mentioned before. While listening to The Pilot episode from the Gold Box set, I finally confirmed that a brief clip of Julee Cruise's "The Swan" is featured in the episode. I always thought that I heard a faint tune when watching my old VHS tapes. What a different listening to the "soundtrack" via the noise canceling headphones.

You can hear the clip just after barking Bobby and before Catherine talks to Ben Horne ("He's here again"). It's from 1:31:21 - 1:31:52. No vocals, just the tune.

It seems odd that it suddenly fades in just after the lonesome foghorn. I wonder if there was more to the scene?

Sam
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Re: "The Swan" in The Pilot

Post by TheArm »

Sam Howzit wrote:Unsure if this has been mentioned before. While listening to The Pilot episode from the Gold Box set, I finally confirmed that a brief clip of Julee Cruise's "The Swan" is featured in the episode. I always thought that I heard a faint tune when watching my old VHS tapes. What a different listening to the "soundtrack" via the noise canceling headphones.

You can hear the clip just after barking Bobby and before Catherine talks to Ben Horne ("He's here again"). It's from 1:31:21 - 1:31:52. No vocals, just the tune.

It seems odd that it suddenly fades in just after the lonesome foghorn. I wonder if there was more to the scene?

Sam
Yeah, they play it under Sheriff Truman and Josie's scene, right? ("I heard you wanted to see the Sheriff." "Yes I did.") I had noticed that, too.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

Is anyone 100% sure if it indeed is The Swan instrumental in the Truman/Josie scene in the Pilot?
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I'm positive.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

Jerry Horne wrote:I'm positive.
I believe you, Jerry. The only reason I asked is because they have the sound turned down so low you can hardly hear it.
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.