Tribute to Badalamenti in Paris

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Hervé Love
Roadhouse Member

Tribute to Badalamenti in Paris

Post by Hervé Love »

A tribute to Angela Badalementi is organized on the 8th and 9th of April in Paris at "Le divan du Monde". An instrumental ensemble (piano, violin, bass, drums...) will play the music of Twin Peaks. This tribute takes place in the BEO festival dedicated to movie soundtracks.

The "Divan du Monde" is the place where Julee Cruise made a concert last month : http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=EuaGrGwapbE

French translation :
Dans le cadre du festival BEO consacré aux bandes originales de film, un hommage à Angelo Badalementi sera rendu le 8 et le 9 avril à Paris au Divan du monde. A cette occasion, un ensemble classique, dirigé par le violoncelliste Jean-Philippe Audin, jouera la bande originale de Twin Peaks.
Le film Fire walk with me sera projeté ainsi que "The shorts films".

Dossier de presse :
http://www.divandumonde.com/stock/telec ... eo2008.pdf
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Sounds wonderful; don't forget to report back to us!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
graveyard

Post by graveyard »

I was there last night and it was truly wonderful.

First, there were somme nice gimmicks, such as the fake Laura's body wrapped in plastic on stage, and the beautiful red curtains all over the stage.

Second, the band was composed of eight professional musicians coming from the jazz scene, and they were aces. I do see a lot of concerts and I can tell you that what they achieved last night was a hell of a performance. I was especially amazed by the arrangements, it was a perfect blend of fidelity to the original tracks, and improvisation.

They played the obvious classics from the series : Laura Palmer's Theme, Twin Peaks Theme, Into The Night, Audrey's Dance... the climax reached to the top when they honored us with an awesome version of The Pink Room. Other tracks from TP:FWWM soundtrack included Moving Through Time and The Voice Of Love.

The lightshow was top notch and they were sometimes playing parts of the movie at the same time the band was playing, or during cut-offs.

I sometimes felt like being into a dream, eerie kind of feel reminding me FWWM of course but also Eraserhead and its little theater. Wow.

The band played 1h30 and the TP:FWWM movie immediately followed on the big screen.

David will be in the same venue (Divan du Monde) on May 5th, it will a be a private party for the release of his "Catching the Big Fish" book, translated into French (beware, the title in French will be "Mon histoire vraie").
Last edited by graveyard on Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Great review. I wonder if anyone videotaped the event?

-B
graveyard

Post by graveyard »

dugpa wrote:Great review. I wonder if anyone videotaped the event?
I guess it was "taped" (actually, recorded digitally :wink: ) as they were screening shots of the musicians on the screens (when no movie parts) with the help of three mid-sized digital cams (not the average Joe's camcorder though !). So, I hope it was not only for the screens... I beg them to put this on DVD, although I suspect copyrights issues !

And thank you Dugpa for posting the news on the homepage, as I don't visit the forum very often, I would have missed this impressive event.

ps: no New Shoes... I actually wasn't really expecting it, but it would have been a treat. Anyway, I don't have regrets, it was so good... :oops:
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Wow, thanks for the news; another great reason to live in Paris!
Hervé Love
Roadhouse Member

Re: Tribute to Badalamenti in Paris

Post by Hervé Love »

A video (realized by the French Magazine "Cinezik") about the Badalamenti's tribute in Paris (Le Divan du Monde) is now available on You Tube.

The report is about 5 minutes.

Some people are interviewed. They answer to a journalist asking them : "what is your favourite movie soundtrack ?"
Then, there is an interview with Jean-Philippe Audin, the director of the instrumental ensemble.
He explanes that Twin Peaks music is very jazzy but must be played like classical music.
He says it was difficult to do it because there are no partition of Twin Peaks music.
...etc.
A the end, there is some extract of the concert.

Enjoy ! And come here in Paris, Annie !

The link of the video : http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=rMoXqX7QLAY
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thank you, Herve'--I'll consider that an invitation! :lol:
graveyard

Post by graveyard »

For French readers, I posted a more thorough review on my blog here :
http://seb-in-paris.blogspirit.com/arch ... -mond.html
Auggeo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Auggeo »

Jesus Christ,
Just saw the video and loved the version of "Pine float".
Does this have a bootleg version? i really would loooove to hear the full show!