Legendary Picks Up Rights to Classic Sci-Fi Novel 'Dune'

Discussion of Dune

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Legendary Picks Up Rights to Classic Sci-Fi Novel 'Dune'

Post by Panapaok »

A new visit to the planet of Arrakis is being planned.

Legendary has picked up the film and television rights to Dune, the classic science fiction novel by Frank Herbert, the company announced Monday.

Legendary said its agreement calls for the development and production of possible film and television projects for a global audience.

Set in the distant future, Dune tells the story of Paul Atreides whose family accepts control of the desert planet Arrakis. As the only producer of a highly valuable resource, control of Arrakis is highly contested among the noble families. After Paul and his family are betrayed, the story explores themes of politics, religion, and man’s relationship to nature as Paul leads a rebellion to restore his family’s control of Arrakis.

The projects would be produced by Thomas Tull, Mary Parent and Cale Boyter. Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert are serving as executive producers.

The novel was an instant success in sci-fi critics circles when it was first published in 1965 but took a few years before it hit mainstream success. By then, Herbert had spun the book into an epic book series and into a franchise that has lived beyond his death in 1986.

Dune was adapted into a movie by director David Lynch in 1984. It was poorly received although it later developed a cult following. The bomb was a culmination of almost 15 years’ worth of development by several filmmakers’ to bring the story to the big-screen, with an infamous attempt by cult director Alejandro Jodorowsky. That attempt was recorded in the 2013 documentary Jodorowsky's Dune.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... une-949719
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: Legendary Picks Up Rights to Classic Sci-Fi Novel 'Dune'

Post by Panapaok »

Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners, Sicario, Arrival) is in talks to direct.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/denis ... 201929280/
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Good, it's about time they turn those masterpieces into film again (hopefully a couple). I've always loved the books and though I kind of liked Lynch's interpretation, I don't think it did them much justice. The TV series also didn't really work for me.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Interesting; I'll go look over at the Dune forum...
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

apparently, he's gonna make 2 Dune movies. Villeneuve is a great director, I've been enthralled by him since Incendies.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

Timothee Chalamet is playing Paul Atreides
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I saw that; unfortunately the Dune Forum is closed so I can't find out more from those guys.
dreamshake
RR Diner Member

Post by dreamshake »

Rebecca Furgueson in talks to play lady jessica.

Annie, were you looking for more info on the movie or about Villnueve and Chalamet?
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Oh, I was just looking for anything about the movie and thought it would be on the Dune forum.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

I somehow missed that this remake is in the works until I read it here.
I've been reading Dune the novel (the first one) so I can then watch Lynch's film, finally. I have never cared much for science fiction, but I'm really enjoying Herbert's Dune so I'd make it the exception.
Likewise, my BF could never get into TP, neither the original series nor The Return when I invited him to watch it with me. But he really liked the movie Dune when he saw its original release, even as it was getting panned by critics and reviewer. If only I wasn't such a slow reader, but now I have extra incentive to finish the book!
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

You really don't need to read the book to enjoy the movie. I read all the Dune books afterwards.