Seven Directors Who Could Handle DUNE...

Discussion of Dune

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Annie
Global Moderator

Seven Directors Who Could Handle DUNE...

Post by Annie »

Since Peter Berg has dropped out of the running, there's lots of speculation now as to who could properly be the director of the new DUNE.

Just discovered a good article on the Dune Board.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/featur ... -colea.php

This article ends with a great picture of David and a remark that states, "did you know this has been done before by the famous Alan Smithee?"
Attachments
AlanSmitheeLynch1.jpg
AlanSmitheeLynch1.jpg (12.1 KiB) Viewed 19495 times
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Re: Seven Directors Who Could Handle DUNE...

Post by Gabriel »

The obvious ones, to me, would be Peter Jackson and Andrew Adamson, given their track records!
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

According to the official DUNE board, it looks to be either Neil Marshall (The Descent)or Neill Blomkamp. The Herbert camp seems to be looking towards Blomkamp (see his description of District 9 in the article above.)
But nothing is for sure...
Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob »

That a great article posted on the front page - "The Story of Dune By Scott Sentinella"

My vote would have been for/is for Alejandro Jodorowsky for a remake:

"In the mid-"˜70s, it appeared that Dune would become the third major mind-bender of midnight movie director Alejandro Jodorowsky. According to Jodorowsky, he would have employed the services of Pink Floyd to score the film while casting Salvador Dali as the Emperor. Artists such as H.R. Giger, Christopher Foss, and Jean "Moebius"Girard (with whom Jodorowsky continues to collaborate on comic books) would have done the production design.

Or, Ridley Scott, who was also was the running!

Wow!
"Now it's dark....."
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

You know they went with Pierre Morel. Latest news from Byron Merritt (Frank's grandson) is there is top secret progress, but he can't tell us yet!!
Billiam

Post by Billiam »

Byron has always been very nice, and I enjoyed the boards for a short time before the snarkiness of several members got to me.

I did post a link there, where I uploaded a PDF of the FIRST DRAFT screenplay of Dune, when it was planned to be a 2-part movie. The screenplay is about 125 pages, and is very hard to find online, if not downright impossible. ( I bought my copy on ebay, scanned it, and put it together into a pdf) ...the movie ends with Paul and Jessica escaping into the desert, right after the attack on Arrakeen. The banquet scene at Arrakeen Palace is even included! :o

The screenplay is written by the writers that worked on The Elephant Man, and is brilliant....and a sad indication of what could have been. LOTS of dialogue from the book, not as "dumbed down" as the final movie, which I have a love/hate thing with.

I uploaded that and posted a link, to share it. Is it permissable to provide that link here, as well? :)

~B
"I can't understand a word you're saying, you have a thing in your mouth!"
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Byron is still nice; he just has to keep those nerds in check! I only go to the DUNE board now for movie news. He claims they have a new director, but it's a BIG SECRET.

I'd love it if you'd upload the script on here. I used to have it from another DUNE site that closed and seem to have lost it. (Not sure if we can handle pdfs, though; you might want to pm dugpa.) And thanks Billiam!!
Billiam

Post by Billiam »

Hi, Annie, pleasure to meet you! :D

I'll start a thread about it, and what I've done is copy and pasted my posting from there..... it includes a rapidshare link, because the PDF is big....34 megabytes. It's not text, or a transcript, it's actual scans of each page....anyway, I'll start the thread and the post will explain the rest. Thanks!

~B
"I can't understand a word you're saying, you have a thing in your mouth!"