Dune Fan Edits

Discussion of Dune

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Neosmith
Roadhouse Member

Dune Fan Edits

Post by Neosmith »

You've all probably heard of the term "Fan Edit". It's a phenomenon of the aughts, started arguably by the Phantom Edit, a recut of Star Wars Episode I. The idea is that anyone with access to a computer with digital editing and ripping tools can make a personal cut of a film. Now, there is a website dedicated to that called Fanedit.org (People who've seen the Northwest Passage recut might be aware of it.) And we all know there is no definitive cut of Dune.

Well, some people have made their own versions, using footage from both film and TV versions - I've only seen one of them so far, and the job wasn't all that great, but pretty exciting, as it completed the Fremen blu eye effect and removed all TV version voice overs.

Perhaps a definitive fan edit is still to come.

Anyway, check them out:

http://fanedit.org/all-dune-fanedits/
Annie
Global Moderator

Re: Dune Fan Edits

Post by Annie »

Have you ever checked out Dunenovels.com? They talk a lot about their opinions of the movie and the supposed upcoming redo. It's only changed directors uncountable times. I kind of hope it doesn't get remade. I don't like playing with fan edits; I can't even get that site to work. JMHO.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
BookhouseBoyBob
Site Admin

Post by BookhouseBoyBob »

Annie wrote:Have you ever checked out Dunenovels.com? They talk a lot about their opinions of the movie and the supposed upcoming redo. It's only changed directors uncountable times. I kind of hope it doesn't get remade. I don't like playing with fan edits; I can't even get that site to work. JMHO.

I did some research on this yesterday...no signs of movement. Either someone has to step in to work with Paramount very soon (like the next 30 days, probably less) or they loose the rights.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Oh wow Bob! Can you reveal your sources? I like to go at this with Byron Merritt, who is FH's grandson. If it's top secret, please pm me, if you can...
Colonel Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Colonel Cooper »

I was under the impression that Bob's information is a year out of date, and that the rights have now lapsed. To all intents and purposes, any potential film is dead in the water. Byron can bang on about production companies banging on their door all he wants, he's been saying that for over five years now, after all, and the end result has been nothing. I'm not holding my breath waiting for a new film - sorry to be negative.
Just Agent, Audrey. Special Agent.
BookhouseBoyBob
Site Admin

Post by BookhouseBoyBob »

Colonel Cooper wrote:I was under the impression that Bob's information is a year out of date, and that the rights have now lapsed. To all intents and purposes, any potential film is dead in the water. Byron can bang on about production companies banging on their door all he wants, he's been saying that for over five years now, after all, and the end result has been nothing. I'm not holding my breath waiting for a new film - sorry to be negative.

you are correct... that's what I get for looking things up in haste while I'm supposed to be working :)

apologies for the confusion
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Okay, guys, I found this and posted it at Dunenovels.com:

Paramount gives up on making new Dune film by Sean O'Neal (March 22, 2011)

According to Deadline, Paramount has scrapped its four-year-plus plans to create a new adaptation of Frank Herbert’s yummy spice cookbook Dune. The project has been a rocky one from the start, with various directors from Peter Berg to Taken’s Pierre Morel attached at one time or another, and several different writers taking stabs at the script and trying desperately to avoid a rehash of David Lynch’s ill-fated version in 1984. Eventually, Paramount—who’s just hemorrhaging expensive science-fiction ideas left and right these days—decided that even though they found a workable script, the cost just wasn’t worth it, and allowed its rights to lapse. Nevertheless, the person in control of those rights, Richard P. Rubenstein, remains convinced that he can still make it somewhere with someone, potentially with Morel and his original collaborator Chase Palmer. All Rubinstein needs now is $100 million, so get your Kickstarter campaign together.
Attachments
NoDUNE.jpg
NoDUNE.jpg (24.18 KiB) Viewed 22004 times
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

So, I asked Byron what he knew about that. He was his usual, secretive self, and just stated that he's not allowed to talk about what's really going on...
Colonel Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Colonel Cooper »

:lol: Nothing like a bit of obfuscation from Byron. Same old same old...
Just Agent, Audrey. Special Agent.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Yep, he always defends the family, as it should be...