Sad

Discussion of Dune

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

twin-b wrote:Happy (for now)

Dune is the only Lynch film I've never seen. As I am in the midst of one of my strongest Lynch-phases ever, I have felt recently (for the first time) that I have to see it. Anyway, I was able to buy a copy online for $4 today.

Now, whether I'll be happy after watching the movie may be another story.
So, I watched Dune yesterday. Note that I have not read the book... but the movie wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be. Instead of finding the story incomprehensible I thought it was fairly straightforward, rather simple really (too simple?). After a few minutes I did turn on the subtitles because I wasn't catching all of the names and pronunciations. I'm sure this helped quite a bit in figuring out who was who. The acting seemed less than stellar and the special effects were indeed sad in places but I enjoyed the Lynchian touches. I just read Roger Ebert's review and he said, "It took DUNE about nine minutes to completely strip me of my anticipation." I think the first 9 minutes or so were my favorite (set-up, navigator visiting the emperor, etc). It felt very much like a Lynch film at that point. I couldn't help but think of Star Wars and draw parallels to it. Too bad Lynch didn't/couldn't have had Industrial Light & Magic working on Dune. And I really would have liked to be able to see Lynch's version of Dune. I can definitely see where he could have taken it to great places (or at least better places) with a longer running time and creative freedom.
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

twin-b wrote:So, I watched Dune yesterday. Note that I have not read the book...

I can definitely see where he could have taken it to great places (or at least better places) with a longer running time and creative freedom.
Not without getting rid of those horrible voice overs and rewriting a lot of the dialogue.
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

Celestial Teapot wrote:
twin-b wrote:So, I watched Dune yesterday. Note that I have not read the book...

I can definitely see where he could have taken it to great places (or at least better places) with a longer running time and creative freedom.
Not without getting rid of those horrible voice overs and rewriting a lot of the dialogue.
I didn't have a problem with the "voice-overs." They're not voiceovers in my opinion. They are the thoughts of certain characters. Much different than voiceovers, a la Morgan Freeman in Million Dollar Baby. I read that much of the dialogue was taken verbatim from the book. True? Should be rewritten regardless? :)
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

twin-b wrote:
Celestial Teapot wrote:

I didn't have a problem with the "voice-overs." They're not voiceovers in my opinion. They are the thoughts of certain characters. Much different than voiceovers, a la Morgan Freeman in Million Dollar Baby. I read that much of the dialogue was taken verbatim from the book. True? Should be rewritten regardless? :)
In that case, the book should be burned. :wink:
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Now, we're not going to talk about burning DUNE books; well, at least the originals!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Chip Rock

Post by Chip Rock »

Hiya. Interesting to read what twin-b has said, as I think Dune is the only Lynch film I have yet to see. I'd love to see it but I think this forum is the only place I've ever heard positive things said about it!
Saying that though, you can't really argue with getting it for a fiver!
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/667526/D ... oduct.html
Anyone able to tell me if this version is any good? Not too fussed as it's cheap, but just out of interest.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

OK, Chip Rock, I'm the local DUNE expert (and a huge fan of the books.) That DVD you got your hands on has more special features than the special edition in the US! Looks like a great deal to me. Just remember that David is directing a movie that he didn't originally come up with and it was cut to pieces to fit into that time frame. I think he did a good job and have wished for years that those magicals pieces of film on the cutting room floor would just reappear.

Yes, it is really nice to have a DUNE section where people speak positively of the movie.
Chip Rock

Post by Chip Rock »

Thanks Annie! Think I might just order this then. I'm certainly willing to give it a go, plus it will fill a gap in my collection too. I've never read the original books or seen the TV series, so my only knowledge of the story comes from reading about David Lynch. Perhaps I'll get back and let you know how I got on with it!
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

You are very welcome. Always glad to promote the movie that introduced me to both David Lynch and Frank Herbert. Enjoy!
TravisD

Post by TravisD »

I've never read the books,.......but I did see it in the theater.

And on the DVD set,......I like the long,TV cut better..... :oops:

The lead in,with the art......works....and the whole thing flows better to me.
I wish I could combine some stuff.....because both are good,...and somewhere between the two is a bit better film again.
Just a little higher there,Bucky......
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Hey there, I'd tread lightly on that subject. NOBODY admits out loud that they like the tv version. It's not Lynch's. If you'd read the books, I'd say it follows them better, but it doesn't sound like you have.
TravisD

Post by TravisD »

Short of bumping the old thread,....Ill just say that I've never been interested in the books,....only the movie(and no more than that).As a movie,....the TV version just explains it better.....w/o having to read the books just to "get it".I liked the cast,SFX,.......worms and Rachel... 8)

The story/universe was always a bit too "deep" for me anyway from the books to the Sci-Fi series........but the movie(both versions) was always
what made it inticing to read the books(to which I never did,but....).

Blade Runner is a good example of good film from good book,......but no similarities.

I've read alot of books that were/are movies.....and the result is almost never what the author intended(Scanner Darkly being an exception).

I'll just except my tar and feathers and agree to disagree,in the light that DL shot it all..........(except the intro).....and one is for fans.....one is for
casual viewers.

And I'm the latter as far as Dune is concerned.

Sorry to have stirred the hornet's nest,........but while here,.....Ill pretend the TV version doesn't exist......from here on out... :wink: :lol:
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

That's a good boy! :lol:
TravisD

Post by TravisD »

Rachel......I cant believe I said that......Sean Young is what I meant...lol.

All this Blade Runner stuff online crossed my wires... :lol:
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Don't worry about it. You obviously don't have to listen to me, but I suggest you read at least the first book and compare.