Link between Eraserhead and FWWM

Discussion of Eraserhead

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The giant
Roadhouse Member

Link between Eraserhead and FWWM

Post by The giant »

In the dinner scene, Mr.X says that his left arm is numb. And so was Laura's and Ronette's! Did anyone else catch this? and do you have any links or references that you caught in any of David Lynch's films?
I'm gonna go out for a sandwich
Mikeindustry
Roadhouse Member

Re: Link between Eraserhead and FWWM

Post by Mikeindustry »

I never thought about it till I read Beautiful Dark, but ... I'll be damned, all his films have dogs in them!
The giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by The giant »

Lol, yeah. Another one of his references throughout his films is electricity.
I'm gonna go out for a sandwich
garland

Post by garland »

I should really watch Eraserhead again... and FWWM for that matter... (NEEDS TO BUY LIME GREEN SET!!!) but there is definitely recurring images of stages and curtains. From Eraserhead to Inland Empire.

And rooms becoming so present as to almost become another character.
rebeccaharrison

Post by rebeccaharrison »

also the carpet pattern of the Red Room and Henry's apartment lobby are the same!

elevators in david lynch's movies also seem to be prominent, some seem to work and some don't

in blue velvet and eraserhead, both elevators are having difficulties

in wild at heart, harry dean stanton's elevator ride leads to his death and in mulholland drive, naomi watts' elevator ride comes after her successful audition leading her to a downfall after that

in fwwm, david bowie seems to teleport from argentina to philadelphia through an elevator

rebecca
forgiveness

Post by forgiveness »

The look on Henry's face resembles the look on Laura's corpse. I believe it is a look of stillness.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

I sometimes think every Lynch production is in the same universe. Perhaps Eraserhead represents a beginning, and films like MD and Inland are near the end.
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

I've always been fascinated by the possibility that Lynch's works all live in the same universe.

I believe, though I can't remember where I saw the quote, that Lynch did confirm that Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive live in the same universe. This is backed up by the fact that in the very early days MD was going to be Audrey Horne's journey to Hollywood. I always feel that Blue Velvet is also in the same universe, even though it doesn't really have the same abstract/non-narrative elements. I think I would also place INLAND EMPIRE here- in my mind it is a close relation to Mulholland Drive. Eraserhead is an interesting one.. I've never thought about where it exists. However, it is interesting that Lynch chose Jack Nance as the actor who would essentially fire the 'starting pistol' on Twin Peaks.

For me Lost Highway lives in a different place.. I can't put my finger on why. Maybe I need to re-watch it.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

I'd tend to agree with you, iar, but there seem to be a few places on the web referring to Lynch stating when LH came out that it may take place in the same universe as TP. Couldn't find a direct quote, however.

I tend to think of BV, TP and MD forming a loose trilogy. Not sure if Eraserhead fits or not.

MD sort of feels to me like a "what-if" scenario - what might have become of Laura had she not died? Laura, the girl who'll "never go to Hollywood", drags Donna to the edge of the hell in which she lives by bidding her "Welcome to Canada". Betty "rolls on down here from Canada" and finds herself in "this... dream place". There's some evidence in MD that Betty suffered something similar to what Laura suffered ("Bob was a friend of her Dad", "Dad's best friend goes to work"). It's almost like Laura's granted a second chance, and we see how things might have panned out had she not died.

The answer turns out to be not very uplifting - as if to say that Laura's self-chosen fate was really inevitable.
perno
Roadhouse Member

Post by perno »

Lost Highway should be in this tri... tetralogy.
The man with the camera beeing a kind of BOB's cousin.

Elephant Man should not be set aside.
Look at the end of the movie and then look at the end of FWWM.
You'll see what I mean.
I epoh uoy nac dnatsrednu ym hsilgnE.
shanevic7

Post by shanevic7 »

perno wrote:Lost Highway should be in this tri... tetralogy.
The man with the camera beeing a kind of BOB's cousin.

Elephant Man should not be set aside.
Look at the end of the movie and then look at the end of FWWM.
You'll see what I mean.
I just rewatched FWWM and saw the ending. Good eye!