Odd material beneath radiator

Discussion of Eraserhead

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Snogster707
Roadhouse Member

Odd material beneath radiator

Post by Snogster707 »

A lot of the bedroom scenes are quite dark, so I am not able to make out very clearly what is beneath the radiator. It looks like a mass of (human?) hair to me. Any ideas what it could be?
Exy
Roadhouse Member

Re: Odd material beneath radiator

Post by Exy »

They are large "dust bunnies", if you'd lived in an old Victorian property with a hard floor and aren't the most fastidious cleaner then you would probably have seen smaller version of these at some point.
Snogster707
Roadhouse Member

Post by Snogster707 »

Exy- thankyou for clearing up for me what that stuff was. Lol, I have had always tons of dust bunnies. When I finally get round to sweeping, honestly, I seem to just scoop up gallons of dust bunnies in the dustpan....
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Sorry to revive an old thread, but to clear this up a bit more: in a TERRIFIC 1982 retrospective on the film by K. George Godwin, Doreen Small said that the stuff was “a kind of sticky, oily hair stuff” found at a “kind of oil well over on Robertson Avenue.” The article is available at http://www.cageyfilms.com/links/eraserh ... raserhead/ and is well worth a read. Although it is extremely long, it contains a bunch of detail on the film's production that I have never seen recounted anywhere else. The site also has transcripts of each of the interviews done with the various participants, including four VERY long sessions with Lynch, which are a really interesting slice-of-life to see where everyone was circa 1981-82 (Lynch talks about doing Red Dragon after Dune, and is clearly VERY uneasy about the subject matter).