You Got It!

Discussion of Eraserhead

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Annie
Global Moderator

You Got It!

Post by Annie »

Okay, you guys all wanted an Eraserhead section, so here it is--I'm posting this cool picture I found somewhere on the net just to get it started.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
D0ppelgangerDale
Roadhouse Member

Post by D0ppelgangerDale »

I watched Eraserhead for the first time last night, and I really don't know what to make of it. I guess the point of the film is lost on me, unless it is to make the audience as uncomfortable as the characters appear to be. I like the imagery with the guy pulling the cranks, and some of the other scenes are pretty...interesting...and...unique. What's up with all of the umbilical cords? :shock: Eraserhead is definitely one of the most disturbing films I've seen - right up there with the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Wow--your first time! It's a classic, but once every ten years is good enough for me. I hope I'm not spoiling anything when I tell you the simple explanation is it's about David's fear of being a father for the first time. He made the movie when his daughter, Jennifer, was born. I'm sure somebody out there has a much deeper theory for all the strangeness.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

:wink:
zachary_mayo

Post by zachary_mayo »

Eraserhead is such a masterpiece !
First time I saw it, I found it really dark and disturbing.
And now, each time I watch it, I spend such a good time. There is a lot of humor in it.
One scene in particular makes me laugh a lot : it's before Henry has dinner with Mary X and her parents, when the mother asks him what he does in his life. And Henry has this WONDERFUL answer : "Oh, I'm on vacation".
What a crazy sense of humor, I love it.
D0ppelgangerDale
Roadhouse Member

Post by D0ppelgangerDale »

Annie wrote:I hope I'm not spoiling anything when I tell you the simple explanation is it's about David's fear of being a father for the first time. He made the movie when his daughter, Jennifer, was born.
That would definitely make sense. But...I thought I read that Lynch said that he has never heard a correct interpretation. Maybe he meant that the interpretations are only partially correct, not totally correct. Who knows.
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

zachary_mayo wrote:Eraserhead is such a masterpiece !
First time I saw it, I found it really dark and disturbing.
And now, each time I watch it, I spend such a good time. There is a lot of humor in it.
One scene in particular makes me laugh a lot : it's before Henry has dinner with Mary X and her parents, when the mother asks him what he does in his life. And Henry has this WONDERFUL answer : "Oh, I'm on vacation".
What a crazy sense of humor, I love it.
I agree. Much humour in there... (as is almost always the case with Lynch).

Eraserhead contains the blueprints to almost everything David has produced since. Visually it is stunning, and the sound design is groundbreaking.

For me it is an essential part of his catalogue, and one that informs many of his future works...

RR
TravisD

Post by TravisD »

I love it,........there is nothing like hearing that baby squeek....

And if you have friends who just like "regular" films,.....it clears the
house of them... 8)

The dead cat menu though,......is a bit much.

I used to think Lynch was disturbed for making this(I saw Elephant Man 1st).Now I get the film,....if for nothing else...art direction and atmosphere.

Super movie to have a HDTV for...... :wink:
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

I've to say that i also love this movie even though I've only seen it twice so far. The first time I watched it I also didn't know what to make out of it because it seemed to be very strange but on my second view I had to laugh a lot during some of the scenes. It's not my favorite movie of David Lynch but it's still a great one that I'm definetly going to watch a few more times in the near future.
jina
Roadhouse Member

Re: You Got It!

Post by jina »

i watched it twice, also and i want to see it again. i love it.
it got me hooked from the beginning, actually one of the best intros in films./

i try to find a way to see it on the big screen. i would love that.
Sugardrugged Fairy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sugardrugged Fairy »

I liked the atmosphere, but i won't watch this movie again, because that nasty fetus makes me want to puke.
There's a place i'd like to show you. Near the ocean. It's very secluded.
I think you'll understand me better if you come with me.
They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

Watched it last night for the first time in a year (and hopefully kicking off a bit of a Lynch marathon), love it so much. :D In many ways, it's Lynch's most pure cinematic work. And it really feels like you're bringing it down by trying to articulate it. Like the very best of his films, intuitively, on some level, you get it. Amazing. Really hope to see it on the big-screen soon. The sound work is an experience in itself.
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob »

I had the soundtrack on cassette for years...ah, memories!
"Now it's dark....."