Eraserhead *Lost* Footage

Discussion of Eraserhead

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Eraserhead *Lost* Footage

Post by moviemaker »

I heard that there was a scene actually shot where Henry and Mary go to the hospital to get the baby and take it home.

And another scene where there is someone tied on a bed and a car battery or something???

Does anybody know the details of these scenes and if Mr. Lynch still has the footage he shot?
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

Lynch tried to find deleted material when he made the dvd, but almost all of the original footage has been destroyed or lost.

Two scenes were unearthed. The first is a short clip of Henry playing with a dead, tar covered cat, which plays in a loop under the dvd's menu.

The other scene is the sequence with the two ladies tied to the bed and a man standing over them with an electrical device. There is a hidden code somewhere on the Eraserhead dvd that you can plug into DavidLynch.com in order to watch the scene. Of course, you have to be a member to see it.

There was a lot of heated talk about the fact you had to basically pay extra to see the (short) scene online instead of it just being included as special feature.
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

Thank you so much jmichael!

Now I'm not a member of DL.com but I would join just to get a glimpse of that scene. Do you know where to find the secret code on the Eraserhead 2000 DVD? If you don't want to reveal it publicly you can PM me...
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

Tell you the truth, I don't 100% remember.

I think it's a hidden title on the disc - meaning you can't access it from the menu. If your DVD player lets you skip through the titles on a disc, you should be able to find it. (So, for example: the menus are "title 1", the movie is "title 2", the documentary is "title 3", the trailer is "title 4", the easter egg is "title 5" - something like that.)

Perhaps someone else here remembers. I don't have my dvd readily accessible at the moment, or I'd check myself.
zachary_mayo

Post by zachary_mayo »

To access the Eraserhead deleted scene introduced by Lynch on davidlynch.com, you have to be a member of the site, go to the phone booth #6, and dial X2416.

I used to be a member, and this is by far the best surprise I found on it. Having heard about this scene, I was very glad to see it at last, since I thought it was lost, and we could never see it.
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

Merci Beaucoup zachary_mayo! You just gave me an early Christmas present! I just joined and watched it--wow!

Thanks as well to jmichael for all the info!

Q: Are there any other hidden goodies in the phonebooth?

Now I'm gonna go explore this site.
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

moviemaker wrote:Merci Beaucoup zachary_mayo! You just gave me an early Christmas present! I just joined and watched it--wow!

Thanks as well to jmichael for all the info!

Q: Are there any other hidden goodies in the phonebooth?

Now I'm gonna go explore this site.
There are many. There are hidden numbers on the site, plus there were hidden numbers on the original first season of Twin Peaks dvd release and perhaps the Mulholland Dr dvd too. Can't quite recall. The Mulholland Dr website, when it was active, also had phone booth, so that may be what I'm remembering.
They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Re: Eraserhead *Lost* Footage

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

moviemaker wrote:I heard that there was a scene actually shot where Henry and Mary go to the hospital to get the baby and take it home.
According to Lynch On Lynch, (the chapter on Eraserhead that I read last night), this scene was never shot.
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Re:

Post by bosguy1981 »

jmichael wrote:Lynch tried to find deleted material when he made the dvd, but almost all of the original footage has been destroyed or lost.

Two scenes were unearthed. The first is a short clip of Henry playing with a dead, tar covered cat, which plays in a loop under the dvd's menu.

The other scene is the sequence with the two ladies tied to the bed and a man standing over them with an electrical device. There is a hidden code somewhere on the Eraserhead dvd that you can plug into DavidLynch.com in order to watch the scene. Of course, you have to be a member to see it.

There was a lot of heated talk about the fact you had to basically pay extra to see the (short) scene online instead of it just being included as special feature.
It's a bummer that he didn't put this on the Mystery Disc of the Lime Green box set or something.

So I take it this scene isn't available anywhere now, right? Does anybody know how long this scene with the women tied to the bed was? Is it real short or a fairly long sequence? And is it true that Catherine Coulson plays one of the women in this scene?
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

Actually, the 'B' roll and outtakes from Eraserhead were stored at his home in a tool shed in Virginia, and while he was filming either 'Dune' or 'Blue Velvet', his then wife Mary Fisk had a lot of Dave's stuff taken to the dump, and this included all the material from 'Eraserhead'. He considered having it dug up but figured it was too long in the earth and too expensive to try and find. This was during the prep of the EH 2000 DVD for dl.com.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

John Neff wrote:Actually, the 'B' roll and outtakes from Eraserhead were stored at his home in a tool shed in Virginia, and while he was filming either 'Dune' or 'Blue Velvet', his then wife Mary Fisk had a lot of Dave's stuff taken to the dump, and this included all the material from 'Eraserhead'. He considered having it dug up but figured it was too long in the earth and too expensive to try and find. This was during the prep of the EH 2000 DVD for dl.com.
I've only just seen this post for some bizarre reason. I both love and hate the fact that there is a treasure trove of goodness out there somewhere, deep underground. I imagine future civilizations finding it and somehow viewing it, thinking "our ancestors lived very strange lives indeed".
the haystack
Roadhouse Member

Post by the haystack »

hopesfall wrote:
John Neff wrote:Actually, the 'B' roll and outtakes from Eraserhead were stored at his home in a tool shed in Virginia, and while he was filming either 'Dune' or 'Blue Velvet', his then wife Mary Fisk had a lot of Dave's stuff taken to the dump, and this included all the material from 'Eraserhead'. He considered having it dug up but figured it was too long in the earth and too expensive to try and find. This was during the prep of the EH 2000 DVD for dl.com.
I've only just seen this post for some bizarre reason. I both love and hate the fact that there is a treasure trove of goodness out there somewhere, deep underground. I imagine future civilizations finding it and somehow viewing it, thinking "our ancestors lived very strange lives indeed".
Corollary: Extraterrestrial Biological Entities (future civilizations) unearth the lost Eraserhead material. After examining all the "reality" TV from out time, this material is extensively researched as evidence that intelligent life existed after all!
Log Lady lives
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

the haystack wrote:
hopesfall wrote:
Corollary: Extraterrestrial Biological Entities (future civilizations) unearth the lost Eraserhead material. After examining all the "reality" TV from out time, this material is extensively researched as evidence that intelligent life existed after all!
That would be funny although what I first thought you wrote would be even funnier: if the aliens thought this WAS reality TV...
the haystack
Roadhouse Member

Post by the haystack »

LostInTheMovies wrote: That would be funny although what I first thought you wrote would be even funnier: if the aliens thought this WAS reality TV...
Would that it were; I might make time for TV.
Future of Lynch: How much does the work of Van Gogh, Mozart, Homer, Shakespeare affect civilization and culture today? It does link us with a past sensibility, and lets our humanity reflect therein. Isn't this work reality, then? I expect the same results from Lynch's work, to some degree, though we're talking about times beyond us.
Log Lady lives
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

On the Room to Dream audiobook, DKL specifically says that “one half of the Eraserhead work print” is what ended up in a Virginia dump (and Eli Roth was helping him try to locate it!). This is intriguing. Does that mean the other half of the work print was not thrown out? Is that where the “cat” footage and “torture scene” came from? I wonder what else might be on there?

Also, it’s crazy to me that the tortute/bed scene was available for years, yet it now doesn’t seem to exist anywhere on the Internet. Was no one able to save/copy the video? You can find the most obscure arcana on YouTube (including very minor experiments from DL.com like “Coyote”), but this deleted scene from an iconic film is nowhere to be found!