Badalamenti on the INLAND EMPIRE soundtrack?

Lynch music collaborations other than Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Badalamenti on the INLAND EMPIRE soundtrack?

Post by Teopeaks »

In the new film Drive, starring Ryan Gosling, it says that Angelo Badalamenti composed the music, during the credits, even though there's actually another composer. First strange thing!
The movie uses the track "BBQ Theme" from INLAND EMPIRE. Funny since it was supposed to be a Lynch-composed soundtrack. Is it possible that Badalamenti actually wrote it? It does sound a lot like him.
The film also uses two tracks composed by Trent Reznor for the film "The Social Network", one track, two films, that's not ordinary :)
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Re: Badalamenti on the INLAND EMPIRE soundtrack?

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

Apparently an early version of the film, with its temporary score drawn from other sources, such as Social Network and 28 Days Later (standard industry practice) got released online. The proper, finished cinematic release features and credits Cliff Martinez's work. I don't know why Angelo is in the credits though - maybe whoever did them chose his or her favourite composer as a placeholder until the true composer was named. Or maybe Angelo was intended to be involved...
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

I don't have the answers for this, but it does bring to mind Badalamenti's contribution to the IE soundtrack.

He's not credited on any of the tracks, but is listed under "Special Thanks". Yet, I was sure that Rabbits Theme was a joint Lynch/Badalamenti composition born out of MD for the web series.

There are a couple of other tracks on there that sound like they draw a lot from Badalamenti's style. I'm thinking specifically of Call From the Past.

I'm sure someone has the answers!
smokebelch
Roadhouse Member

Post by smokebelch »

Yeah as jdh said, the version of Drive that you watched is the leaked 'workprint' version. Its pretty much the final version of the film, bar a couple of cgi bits that hadnt been completed (some of the violent parts) and also features a temp score.
Read an interview with Cliff Martinez who composed the final score, and he was brought in quite late and only had a few weeks to get the score done. Most films feature a temp score of other film music until an original score is completed- its just usually that version doesnt leak onto the internet!
Im guessing given the fact that Martinez was bought on so late that maybe Badalamenti was perhaps gonna do the score at one point, though ive not seen anything to confirm this.
Have to say though its a great movie, and well worth seeing the theatrical version as the final score is excellent :D
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

No, the Rabbits theme was written and performed by David and I specifically for the 'Rabbits' show on DL.com. I believe he did use it in Inland Empire,as he re-purposed some Rabbits footage for the movie.