The Straight Story OST

Lynch music collaborations other than Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

doublemain
Roadhouse Member

The Straight Story OST

Post by doublemain »

I do not own this soundtrack (yet) so I'm unable to take a look at the credits and I was wondering if Lynch took part in some of the tracks ? Usually, he always manage to appear somewhere, well, from FWWM on, at least (+ Eraserhead).

Thanks
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Re: The Straight Story OST

Post by twin-b »

doublemain wrote:I do not own this soundtrack (yet) so I'm unable to take a look at the credits and I was wondering if Lynch took part in some of the tracks ? Usually, he always manage to appear somewhere, well, from FWWM on, at least (+ Eraserhead).

Thanks
Looks like it was all Angelo from a composition standpoint. Here are the credits for David:

Produced by David Lynch & Angelo Badalamenti
Mixed by David Lynch

I love this soundtrack. Great background music or for when you need something mellow and relaxing.
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

The soundtrack CD itself does not contain 3 cues from the film.
One is David, myself, SFX Editor Ron Eng and Dialogue Editor Walter Spencer playing guitars and acoustic bass for a 'mood cue' when Alvin goes to the Doctor's office. We set up our instruments, ran the scene and 'jammed' to it. One take.

Another is the Radio Ranch selection playing in the opening scenes where Alvin has taken a fall and Bud leaves the bar to look for him.

The third is the scene where Alvin and Verlyn are reliving their WWII memories in the bar. That music was a 'lift' of a couple tracks done by an artist named 'Middlejohn' and myself, off an unreleased album called "Strange Tales of the Late West", recorded in my Maui studio in 1987. The song was called "The Most Requested Song". Middle and I have been talking about remixing and releasing the CD. We'll see. Other temp music for "The Straight Story" was lifted from this CD and I would include the cuts as a bonus.

If we do it, I'll post it here so you can get it if you want.
Sam Howzit
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sam Howzit »

I was just playing the soundtrack the other night at bedtime. My wife was quite surprised at the beautiful score (she couldn't believe it was from a Lynch film).

John - I'd buy your album if released. So, there's one! Mahalo for the insight. I thought there were a couple of cues missing.

Overall, the Straight Story is a must have in my book.

Sam
DAT500

Post by DAT500 »

Yes, the soundtrack's absolutely beautiful. Tinged with melancholy that Angelo Badalamenti is so good at. the Straight story was the first DVD I ever bought and really has a special place in my heart.
Roger
Roadhouse Member

Post by Roger »

I also have to agree that the Straight Story OST is a must have. It's great for just relaxing.
-Roger

"If you don't clean up. You're screwed."- David Lynch - LAMP

Read my new book on horror host Dr. Paul Bearer:
https://www.createspace.com/4132884

Doctor Xombie Horror Host:
ww.DOCTORXOMBIE.com