Best home release?

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Cipher

Best home release?

Postby Cipher » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:09 am

Recently saw this fantastic movie for the first time, and it immediately cemented itself as a favorite, right up there with Eraserhead.

I badly want to own it, but it seems there are a number of out-of-print and non-U.S. releases. What are my best options for a region-free or region 1/A release?

There's the U.S. DVD, a Chinese Blu-Ray of questionable legality (?? honestly not sure; I never assume region-free Chinese releases are on the up and up, but this is still available in small numbers at a reasonable price on Amazon), the German Blu-Ray set that seems to be out-of-print and which has recently spiked in price, apparently there's a Japanese Lnych Blu-Ray set coming out in the fall, etc.

Any recommendations? Should I settle with a U.S. DVD if I can find it? The Chinese Blu since it's still available (no idea what the quality is like, which is my main reservation)?

Thanks a ton. It's a shame this hasn't gotten a premium release stateside. Hopefully Criterion releases more Lynch films at some point.
Metamorphia

Re: Best home release?

Postby Metamorphia » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:38 pm

The US DVD has the extras (More Things That Happened, Lynch One, Lynch Two, Quinoa and the dancing thing), so I'd recommend getting that anyway.

I believe the Blu Ray release sorted some of the motion interpolation problems that were there on the DVD, although as it was shot standard-def it will look very similar, albeit with slightly better compression. I don't know about the Chinese one, but if you have a region free player there's also a BD release in the UK which uses the same master as the German one.
Cipher

Postby Cipher » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:22 pm

Metamorphia wrote:The US DVD has the extras (More Things That Happened, Lynch One, Lynch Two, Quinoa and the dancing thing), so I'd recommend getting that anyway.

I believe the Blu Ray release sorted some of the motion interpolation problems that were there on the DVD, although as it was shot standard-def it will look very similar, albeit with slightly better compression. I don't know about the Chinese one, but if you have a region free player there's also a BD release in the UK which uses the same master as the German one.

Thanks! This was an extremely helpful answer. Didn't even think about the extras, nor the fact that it was shot in standard definition.
Framed_Angel

Postby Framed_Angel » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:51 pm

Cipher wrote:Recently saw this fantastic movie for the first time, and it immediately cemented itself as a favorite, right up there with Eraserhead...I badly want to own it
How did you get to view it to begin with? I 've been to iTunes and amazon, but can't find it available for 'rent' or such. I haven't seen it, ever.
My town's last surviving movie rental shop closed business earlier this summer, sadly I know they might have had it. So the process of searching for these online is new to me ; (
Cipher

Postby Cipher » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:10 am

Framed_Angel wrote:
Cipher wrote:Recently saw this fantastic movie for the first time, and it immediately cemented itself as a favorite, right up there with Eraserhead...I badly want to own it
How did you get to view it to begin with? I 've been to iTunes and amazon, but can't find it available for 'rent' or such. I haven't seen it, ever.
My town's last surviving movie rental shop closed business earlier this summer, sadly I know they might have had it. So the process of searching for these online is new to me ; (

I turned to questionable resources.

Return to “INLAND EMPIRE”