INLAND EMPIRE DVD RELEASE

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

I already have the Absurda/davidlynch.com DVDs in deluxe and standard editions. Between imported books, DVDs and CDs and Ebay my David Lynch collection has clocked up a horrific number of air miles.

My point is, at least 95% of people in the UK only buy R2 DVDs so R0 and multi-region mean nothing to them. I own hundreds of DVDs but the only imports I have are Lynch related. Unless people are obsessive DL fans they're unlikely to go to the trouble of tracking down imports and they're not going to fork out for expedited shipping and import duties. It'd be like JK Rowling choosing not to sell Harry Potter books or DVDs outside the UK and assuming people would buy imports. The series wouldn't be lucrative enough to generate financial backing for further films, merchandise etc.

More Twin Peaks films were planned but FWWM didn't make enough money. The deleted scenes from Twin Peaks and FWWM haven't been released because the DVDs won't sell huge amounts so it's not financially viable. There's talk of a fourth Twin Peaks soundtrack if the forthcoming CD's successful. As long as success is equated with profit the fans are going to be short-changed by DVD releases.

And as for Inland Empire, I'm going to buy three different editions of the DVD but it doesn't make it any less ridiculous that the deleted scenes have been left off the UK release. It's a two-disc set!
Fall_of_Sophia
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fall_of_Sophia »

[quote="FaceInTheLeaves"]I already have the Absurda/davidlynch.com DVDs in deluxe and standard editions. Between imported books, DVDs and CDs and Ebay my David Lynch collection has clocked up a horrific number of air miles.

Is there any difference in quality of picture between deluxe and standard. I've been ordering the .com stuff as I've just bought a multiregion player (off Amazon for £18!!) and am ver happy with the quality. I assume the deluxe editions can only be bought off davidlynch.com?
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

The deluxe and standard discs are identical. It's literally just the same disc in different packaging. The davidlynch.com DVDs are beautiful but they're 5 or 6 times more expensive than the standard editions once you've added import duties and expedited shipping.
kerplooey
Roadhouse Member

French Release

Post by kerplooey »

Obviously the US one is the way to go, but I thought people here would still be interested in the specs for the French release(s) because of a few weird/interesting tidbits; (feel free to add the infos to the first post by kelvah and delete my post if you want to keep things tidy)

French Release(s) by Studio Canal

1) EDITION COLLECTOR
Product details:
* Format: Pal
* Region: Region 2
* Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
* Number of discs: 2
* DVD Release Date: September 3, 2007
* Audio: English (Dolby Digital 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1) French (Dolby Digital 2.0, Dolby Digital 5.1)
* ASIN: B000QQFKYE
SRP €24.99

DVD 1:
#Film with exclusive chapter menu, "Lynch-kit", designed by Michel Chion based on his book David Lynch.

DVD 2:
# The Air Is On Fire : Interview with David Lynch by Michel Chion
# Guardian/NFT interview with David Lynch
# A Short Interview in London
# Behind the scenes

2) EDITION SUPER-COLLECTOR
(visual TBA)
SRP €79.99

Box set including:
# same DVD set as the "edition collector"
# The Air is on Fire 450 pages book from the Fondation Cartier exhibition, including the conversation companion CD.
# A film poster
# Exclusive CD with extracts from the INLAND EMPIRE soundtrack

(sources:
DVDRAMA
DVD Bonus
Fnac.com
Amazon.fr)

A few personal thoughts:

*The sites I checked that mentioned the exlusive CD included in the "super-collector" box set all specified it was a CD with "extracts" from the soundtrack, so I would expect it to be a small sampler, or EP, with 5 or 6 tracks. It'll still be nice to have this if the official INLAND EMPIRE OST keeps being delayed because of copyright reasons.

*DVDRAMA, one of the earliest and most extensive source (check out the article, the cover pic is huge so I decided not to post it here) ends their piece with the following quote:
"Note that [Studio Canal] had announced, even before its theater release, that INLAND EMPIRE would also be available in HD-DVD . This should be confirmed -or not- soon."
In the comments section someone mentions the absurdity of releasing a film shot in low-def with such distinct pixelisation and artefacts in HD-DVD, as we shouldn't expect to get anything more out of the image on this format than on a regular DVD. I have to say this was also my reaction to the news/rumor.

* The "super-collector" edition is an ok deal for someone who hasn't purchased the Air is on Fire catalogue seperately. Still, as buying the book and the DVD set seperately amounts to €75, I hope the audio CD doesn't get pulled out at the last minute, or people would just pay the extra €5 for the packaging. I still hope it's going to be a nice-looking one.
Last edited by kerplooey on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

First of all,the French edition is no good compared to the North American.Secondly,i purchased Air Is On Fire from Amazon.com with only 40 euro with the shipping costs and consider that i live in Europe.This means that if you buy the Super-Collector edition,not only you will have to pay more and get lesser extras but you will also have to wait a month or more in order to be released and receive it.However is a good package except for the DVD.Therefore someone who doesn't have the book can buy the package and sell the DVD or trade it with an American instead.
MrBungle

Post by MrBungle »

So is DL.com going to be selling the US Inland EMpire release? and will it be in any kind of special packaging? Or should I just order the AMazon.com dvd?
thanks.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I just read in Live Journal that Best Buy has it on the shelves NOW!!!!!!

I stand corrected that Davidlynch.com is selling it, but I don't think it's special packaging.
Last edited by Annie on Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
purpleturtle

Post by purpleturtle »

I can confirm that the Best Buy here is selling it already, they had 12 copies in. I can't wait to pick up my copy tonight.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mine shipped from Amazon.com today. Can't wait for deleted scenes ...
shemsha
Roadhouse Member

Post by shemsha »

Mine shipped yesterday also!

Since I want to watch it so much I canceled my Amazon order of the DVD and ordered from Axelmusic.com which has a faster shipping time to Israel.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Darn it, my amazon.com order is still listed as not yet shipped. Maybe i should just hop a plane to the nearest best buy half a world away.
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

INLAND EMPIRE region 1 DVD review with numerous screenshots now up on DVDBeaver.com.

link
biotron
Roadhouse Member

Post by biotron »

heh heh - lucky people getting it slightly earlier than the release date!

seeing the screencaps in that link from c teapot there has just made my day. i love this film and miss it like an old friend. hope my order from Amazon US gets shipped soon...
shemsha
Roadhouse Member

Post by shemsha »

Celestial Teapot wrote:INLAND EMPIRE region 1 DVD review with numerous screenshots now up on DVDBeaver.com.

link
Damn! no english subtitles. Very disappointing.
bmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by bmiller »

Brian,
Your review contains almost nothing about the movie, except that you still love it! Shouldn't you be writing about themes, ideas, obsessions, etc. ? What about the video/audio quality? I've read two reviews of the DVD that say the video looks like crap, although the print of INLAND EMPIRE I viewed at the Drexel Grandview in Columbus looked like crap as well. C'mon dude, flesh out your review; man cannot live by Quinoa alone.