INLAND EMPIRE DVD RELEASE

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

shemsha
Roadhouse Member

Post by shemsha »

This is all very strange.
It's weird it wasn't advertised that there are different covers.
I ordered from axelmusic.com and it seems they have the 3rd cover, I'll have to wait and see what will I get.
http://www.axelmusic.com/productDetails ... a5da5347cd
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I just visited the discussion section on Amazon.com. Apparently, Best Buy was told to take their copies off the shelves, implying they were naughty because they jumped the gun? or because they had the ugly covers? There's also more discussion about all the different covers and why DL.com or Rhino never made that clear. I'm glad I didn't buy mine yet!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

Last edited by Erwin on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Methedrome
Roadhouse Member

Post by Methedrome »

In Canada, as usual, I could not find a copy of INLAND EMPIRE anywhere yesterday.

This in light of Best Buy advertising it in there flyers. Not surprisingly after looking at 4 different stores in Winnipeg, I was left empty handed.

Then authorities wonder why Canada is a hotbed of video piracy.... provide the legitmate items, and we will buy them. Rant over.
Zachary
Roadhouse Member

Post by Zachary »

Annie wrote:Apparently, Best Buy was told to take their copies off the shelves, implying they were naughty because they jumped the gun? or because they had the ugly covers?
I was unable to find the DVD at two different Best Buy stores yesterday, even though the website said it was in stock at both. I went back to their website, ordered the DVD for in-store pick up, and I was able to pick it up about 30 minutes later. The cover is has the title on top with one blue photo (the one that people seem to like the most).

So if anyone was unable to find the DVD at Best Buy, try ordering it and selecting in-store pick up. You might also be able to just go in and ask an employee there if they have it. Perhaps they were asked to remove the DVD from their shelves, but they will still sell it to you.
Methedrome
Roadhouse Member

Post by Methedrome »

I was able to purchase a copy (with the blue cover) at HMV. I had to call and ask because they were mysteriously not placed on the shelves.
AllThisPaperwork

Post by AllThisPaperwork »

The DVD release of this film is stranger than the movie itself!
purpleturtle

Post by purpleturtle »

I picked up my copy at Best Buy on Tuesday and it is the normal cover as shown on amazon.com - with the blue photo of Dern at the bottom.

I had called whenever it was they broke the street date last week, Thursday or so. They held a copy for me, but by time I made it up there (about 5 hours later), they had pulled it - and all of the other copies off of the shelf. They told me that they weren't allowed to sell it early or they'd get in big trouble and I'd have to come back Tuesday.

I went into Barnes and Noble on Tuesday to buy it there, they had a different cover, with the faces at the top and the bottom. It was $30, though, and I went to Best Buy and got a copy from them for $17. It was the only copy they had.

So, does anyone know for sure whether or not they are even allowed to sell it anymore? It doesn't seem to make any sense that they would punish them for breaking the street date by not allowing them to sell it, since BB is so huge and financially, it seems like a dumb idea.

In any case, I'm very pleased with how IE looks on my TV and all of the special features. Content wise, this package is just about perfect, it's obvious that a lot of thought went into it. The packaging however, is a real let down. It looks really cheap, like a computer print-out and when I peeled the security plastic off, I ripped a big chunk of paper off the back cover, so there is this huge white rip on it that I am not happy about.

Does Wal-Mart sell the white version? That's what I'd read. I didn't think that they'd carry a release like this (they didn't even carry Twin Peaks Season 2).
Dantalian

Post by Dantalian »

Methedrome wrote:In Canada, as usual, I could not find a copy of INLAND EMPIRE anywhere yesterday.

This in light of Best Buy advertising it in there flyers. Not surprisingly after looking at 4 different stores in Winnipeg, I was left empty handed.

Then authorities wonder why Canada is a hotbed of video piracy.... provide the legitmate items, and we will buy them. Rant over.
I too live in Winnipeg and couldn't find it at Best Buy on Tuesday.
I'm guessing none of the Best Buy stores in Canada have it.
When their weekly flyer came out last week with Inland Empire advertised I went to their Canadian website to check it out but couldn't find it when I did a search. I opened the online version of the flyer and went to the page with that weeks dvd listings and there was Inland Empire. But when you clicked on it for more information the Doctor Strange dvd came up. Sure enough if you looked at the web code for Inland Empire it was the same for Doctor Strange. When I went to Best Buy and asked for it they couldn't find any record of it in their computer. I pointed out that the order number might be wrong and they said they would look into it. When I got home I sent an email to Best Buy Canada asking if they were carrying the dvd and pointed out the web code discrepancy.
I got a reply the next day saying yes they do carry it and gave me the web code. They also said it was deemed "out of stock" and may take a few days to be inventoried into their system. I could order the dvd and it would be shipped to me as soon as it became available. Strange for a new release that should have been out the day before. Now when you do a search on their website it does come up but says "Out of Stock". On a sidenote, Future Shop, which is owned by Best Buy Canada, doesn't have a listing for it on their website. Another place you can't buy it.
Yes, HMV does have it, but it's annoying when Best Buy advertises it for $4 less but never got it in.
Methedrome
Roadhouse Member

Post by Methedrome »

Exactly. Future Shop and Best Buy are one and the same...

By the point of frustration and driving around, I finally paid the extra 5 bucks since HMV had it. Did you see it on the shelves? I had to call the Portage Place location and get a copy held, and they never even had it on the shelves.
Dantalian

Post by Dantalian »

Yeah, I know how you feel.
The only dvd I wanted that day and it's the one they screwed up on.
Funny thing was, on the new release wall was Eraserhead.
I didn't go to HMV but when I got home I called the Polo Park store and they said they had it in stock. I might order it from Amazon as there are some other dvd's I want and then I can get the free shipping. I know as soon as I order it I'm going to walk into Best Buy and see it cheaper.
Have you seen it at WalMart? I looked but didn't notice it.
EveningAbsurdity

Post by EveningAbsurdity »

The one Amazon.com shipped me has blue Laura on top, black/white title, and blue Polish girl on bottom. It's very crisp and good looking, and my personal favorite out of all of these.

However, I'm wondering why we all havent simply checked out the one shown on lynch's website store?

"I like dogs."
AllThisPaperwork

Post by AllThisPaperwork »

That's the cover I got!
sstroud

Post by sstroud »

I think I'm going to need someone to do a hi-res scan of their blue cover and post it so that I can print it out and replace my crappy cover. :(

Rhino should post them. Otherwise, I'm thinking I may try to exchange it at a Best Buy with the blue covers, if any near me have those.
LeoFaraon
Roadhouse Member

Post by LeoFaraon »

~
Last edited by LeoFaraon on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.