INLAND EMPIRE DVD RELEASE

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Fall_of_Sophia
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fall_of_Sophia »

Does anyone know if the R2 release will be the same or different :?
kelvah
Roadhouse Member

Post by kelvah »

Fall_of_Sophia wrote:Does anyone know if the R2 release will be the same or different :?
They will be different.
from Optimum Home Entertainment:

Extra DVD Features
"¢ David Lynch masterclass
"¢ David Lynch interview at the Cartier Foundation
"¢ Guardian/NFT interview with David Lynch
"¢ A Short Interview in London
"¢ A Conversation with David Lynch by Mike Figgis

So we have only interviews in r2 edition. I think the Rhino edition will be the best one.

p.s.: i'm going to update the first post of this thread with all the news about the two editions
Fall_of_Sophia
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fall_of_Sophia »

Doesn't Lynch like the Europeans or something?

And I went to the exhibition in Paris TWICE too. :(
shemsha
Roadhouse Member

Post by shemsha »

:-)

Don't forget that europe has a much better Lost Highway edition and a new Mulholland drive edition.
biotron
Roadhouse Member

Post by biotron »

shemsha wrote::-)

Don't forget that europe has a much better Lost Highway edition and a new Mulholland drive edition.
be that as it may, it strikes me as a pretty poor decision to omit these scenes from the Euro release - quite probably outwith Lynch's control, but who knows?

i went to that exhibition in Paris twice too! sheesh... ;)

and further to harmolodic's point about anyDVD - i do have a multiregion DVD player in any case, it's just the principle of the thing!
Fall_of_Sophia
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fall_of_Sophia »

i went to that exhibition in Paris twice too! sheesh... ;)

Best exhibition I have ever been to. FACT!!
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Will the DVD releases in US on Region 1 and UK on Region 2 have identical features, does anyone know?

I think I'll probably play it safe and just get the US one. Prefer the cover anyhow... Never liked the poster that they're using on Region 2 DVD cover. More like they're trying to make it look like a sequel to Mulholland Drive.
benjamin

Post by benjamin »

i just found out that my amazon.com pre-order has been pushed back to being released on August 15th.
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

In the UK Play are giving away an Inland Empire poster and HMV are giving away five artcards.

I don't mind buying multiple copies of the DVD to get the interviews and the deleted scenes but I can't understand why they'd leave the deleted scenes off the R2 release. Maybe it's a deliberate marketing play to sell more copies of the film?

Being a British David Lynch fan can be an expensive and depressing experience. There have been no UK releases of Twin Peaks season two, Eraserhead 2000, The Short Films, Dumbland, Dynamic No. 1, Pretty As A Picture and Catching The Big Fish (hardback or audiobook). It wouldn't be so bad if the shipping and import duties on things bought from davidlynch.com weren't so exorbitant.

It's amazing that David Lynch has any UK fans at all considering the theatrical releases of his films don't stray much further than the South of England and his work on DVD is limited to full-length films (Eraserhead and The Straight Story are out of print).
shemsha
Roadhouse Member

A new feature in region 1?

Post by shemsha »

Just looked at the product page at Amazon and among the features I saw this one: Includes the short film "Ballerina".
Is it new only to me? I like surprises :)

All the features according to Amazon:
* 90 minutes of Deleted Scenes.
* Includes the short film "Ballerina".
* Lynch 2 (behind the scenes of INLAND EMPIRE with David Lynch).
* Talks with David Lynch and Laura Dern.
* More Things That Happened (Additional Character Experiences).
* Theatrical Trailers (3).
* Stills Gallery (73 Photos).
* David Lynch cooks Quinoa.
shemsha
Roadhouse Member

Post by shemsha »

FaceInTheLeaves wrote: It's amazing that David Lynch has any UK fans at all considering the theatrical releases of his films don't stray much further than the South of England and his work on DVD is limited to full-length films (Eraserhead and The Straight Story are out of print).
FaceInTheLeaves, you have to remember it has nothing to do with David Lynch himself and it's all the studio/production companies decisions.
I live in Israel and the situation is similar.
kelvah
Roadhouse Member

Re: A new feature in region 1?

Post by kelvah »

shemsha wrote:Just looked at the product page at Amazon and among the features I saw this one: Includes the short film "Ballerina".
Is it new only to me? I like surprises :)
wow, great news shemsha!
I updated the first post.
shemsha
Roadhouse Member

Post by shemsha »

The only thing that is really important to me remains unknown (at least to me).
Will this DVD contain english subtitles/captions that are selectable from the DVD menu (and not CC that are viewable only at certain TV sets).
Hope to know it soon. Anyway sounds like a great DVD that I really look forward to (especially since I havn't seen the movie yet).
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

It depends who owns the rights, shemsha. The Eraserhead 2000, Short Films, Dumbland and Dynamic No. 1 DVD releases were put together and released by DL himself because he owns the rights. As far as I know Universal no longer holds to rights to Eraserhead in the UK and the others have never been released over here.
shemsha
Roadhouse Member

Post by shemsha »

But I don't see any problem with the DVDs you mentioned since most of them (if not all of them) are R0 and so they should work at any DVD player and you can easily order them from Amazon.com.
I am only saying it because I'm in a similar situation. I live in Israel and order my DVDs from aroung the world.