INLAND EMPIRE DVD RELEASE

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

DVD arrived yesterday from Amazon (blue Laura Dern cover) and I've got to say I enjoyed IE even more 2nd time around. So far I've only had the chance to watch More Things That Happened from the extras and thought it was excellent - manages to make both more and less sense of the main feature.

Going to watch the Stories section now, but very happy with the DVD - in terms of full DVD packages this has to be one of the best I have.

The only downside is that I know I'll spend most of this week thinking about IE instead of focussing on things like work. :D
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Watched Stories and Lynch 2 now as well - about 40 & 30 minutes respectively - and together with More Things... it certainly puts the extras on this disc head & shoulders above the average DVD release.

Up next - Quinoa, Ballerina & the Easter Egg bonus!
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

Received the DVD from Amazon with the split cover with Blue women on top and bottom and summarily returned it...

I went to Best buy and picked up the one with the original cover--INLAND EMPIRE on top with the Blue Laura Dern on the bottom...

just the way it should be.

The one I really want--and doesn't exist--is a complete black and white cover like the poster here:

This should be the one and only cover...instead of the marketing ploy that's going on and which I completely buying into, hahaha!

I ordered the other version from the UK so I'm hoping it has this cover:

See what I mean--there's no saving me now...
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

Blimey, I don't seem to have logged-in here for quite a while - Life, work, (day job & music 'work'), etc. getting in the way...

OK, well my Region 1 copy arrived last week from Axel, with the split 'blue' images:

I don't mind this cover - in fact it's probably one of the stronger versions, although I didn't even know there were multiple versions until now! ;-) To be honest, I prefer the back cover to all of these versions anyway.

Watched IE two days ago, for the 3rd time (1st two in the cinema) and it continues to reveal...

Still wading through the extras, but "More Things That Happened" is wonderful - standing up as a mini-feature in its own right. And as someone said further back in this thread (?), both answering questions and posing new ones.

The menus are great too, fashioned from the now familiar (to me) blueprints of David's other recent self-produced DVDs...

Still much to devour, but so far a great experience. I'm only sorry that I and other UK residents have to buy US versions to get this kind of content... The Region 2 version appears to be p*ss-poor by comparison.

More soon.

Red Room
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

moviemaker wrote:Received the DVD from Amazon with the split cover with Blue women on top and bottom and summarily returned it...

I went to Best buy and picked up the one with the original cover--INLAND EMPIRE on top with the Blue Laura Dern on the bottom...

just the way it should be.

The one I really want--and doesn't exist--is a complete black and white cover like the poster here:

This should be the one and only cover...instead of the marketing ploy that's going on and which I completely buying into, hahaha!

I ordered the other version from the UK so I'm hoping it has this cover:

See what I mean--there's no saving me now...

That cover does exist. Virgin in the UK are selling Inland Empire DVD with an exclusive sleeve. It uses the original black and white poster artwork, printed onto silver card. I bought the HMV edition with the artcards (not great) in a card slipcase.
kelvah
Roadhouse Member

Post by kelvah »

FaceInTheLeaves wrote:I bought the HMV edition with the artcards (not great) in a card slipcase.
so are the artcards crappy? why? I was thinking to buy the hmv edition so I'm interested in your opinion...
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The Virgin cover is cool, the HMV cards are alright, and play.com has a free poster for sale.

But I refuse to buy the Region 2 DVD. I bought the US one from Amazon. The UK one has none of the deleted scenes. What gives?
Fatso the wombat

Post by Fatso the wombat »

I got mine from Play today, and was somewhat underwhelmed with the extras - I'd ordered it months ago before they'd even listed the extras and never got around to checking what was on it, assuming it would be all these lovely extras as listed on the dugpa news pages... well... I should remember what happens when you assume...

But, hey, it came with a "Play exclusive" poster... Yay...! :o
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

FaceInTheLeaves wrote:
moviemaker wrote:

That cover does exist. Virgin in the UK are selling Inland Empire DVD with an exclusive sleeve. It uses the original black and white poster artwork, printed onto silver card. I bought the HMV edition with the artcards (not great) in a card slipcase.
Thank you so much Faceintheleaves!

I've ordered the Limited B&W Box from Virgin...

Now I'm a happy camper! 8)
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

The Inland Empire DVD is also available at Fnac in Paris with the B & W sleeve for 24.99 Euros:

Last edited by moviemaker on Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

the Play.com "poster" redefines tiny, it's roughly the same size as the cover. The cover is identical to the french poster above.
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

You're welcome, Moviemaker. I was going to buy a copy yesterday because the sleeve's beautiful (the silver really compliments the artwork) but they didn't have many copies in Virgin and the ones they did have were slightly bumped. I pawed their stock then decided that since I already had the HMV edition I could afford to be picky and try again another day.

Thanks for that information about the Play edition eyeboogers. I've been wondering for weeks how Play would pack the DVD with a decent sized poster and now I know! Because DL DVD releases are such rare events I thought I'd treat myself to three or four copies with different covers but hawking something that small as a poster must be against the trade descriptions act?

The HMV artcards are a bit rough around the edges but god bless them for making the effort. The shelf in HMV had a couple of copies left on it, and lots of space, so I'm guessing they sold a decent amount of DVDs.
sstroud

Post by sstroud »

LeoFaraon wrote:I received the same as EveningAbsurdity and I must say I don't like it. sstroud, please let us know if you're able to get a high-res scan of the blue cover that shows only Laura Dern's face.
Here's the DVD insert I worked up. The European poster was the highest-resolution poster I could find online so that's what I worked from.

http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... l1cgg4.jpg
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Anyone notice on the US DVD disc is spelled disk!? 2-Disk Edition

Below is image of what my DVD cover looks like (got it from Amazon.com). I'm confused! How many OFFICIAL US dvd covers are there anyway?

sstroud

Post by sstroud »

Jonah wrote:Anyone notice on the US DVD disc is spelled disk!? 2-Disk Edition

Below is image of what my DVD cover looks like (got it from Amazon.com). I'm confused! How many OFFICIAL US dvd covers are there anyway?
Ha! I hadn't noticed but mine is the same (I have the ugly beige cover). I'm sure they are all that way.