INLAND EMPIRE DVD RELEASE

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Point taken. I don't like to give my opinions on the films as I think the films are what they are and I wouldn't want my interpretation to shape another persons interpetation. I leave that type of stuff for the messageboards.Just my take on it. I thought the video quality was quite good though. Especially with such a long film being on a single dual layered DVD.

When you check out the Quiona short you will see what i mean.

-B
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

Well, I agree with Dugpa. If you want to hear about themes and obsessions, go and see the movie, that's all.

Anyway, here is an interesting link, DVDBeaver, where the different DVDs are compared: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... empire.htm
BOO!

Post by BOO! »

Do the deleted scenes and other extras have french or english subs, please ?
Fall_of_Sophia
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fall_of_Sophia »

I would love to order the DVD from DL.com but I'm buggered if I'm paying those shipping costs. $90 +. How on earth do they justify those extortionate charges?
sstroud

Post by sstroud »

What's up with the cover(s) on this DVD release? I've been seeing a black over blue cover online for months and then this weekend the first actual DVD cover I saw at a indie record store was blue photo/black title section/blue photo. Then today at Best Buy, the cover is photo/title/photo but is not the blue/black/blue cover. The photos are color but translucent with other images behind them (producing somewhat muddy images). And the center title section isn't the all black, but instead goes from black to white, left to right. Not sure any of this makes sense but I was really disappointed with the cover I bought today (should have bought it at the indie store, but it was $12 more there). Why the different covers?
AllThisPaperwork

Post by AllThisPaperwork »

That "Other Things That Happened" section is just amazing. Like an appendix to Inland Empire. It stands up on its own, too, as another terrific movie.

In fact the whole DVD is top notch. Best Lynch DVD treatment yet. I didn't really enjoy Ballerina that much but everything else went above and beyond. Lynch 2 is probably the most naked look Lynch has allowed into his creative process ever. Compare the total-guard-up attitude he has in "Don't Look At Me" to the not-hiding-anything-raw beauty of this documentary. I imagine the main film, Lynch 1, will be even better.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Welcome sstroud! Are you in Live Journal? There's a big discussion going on about different covers at different stores. Doesn't this seem wierd? I want the official Blue one, but I haven't gone looking yet. Any suggestions from anybody?
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

My copy, purchased early at Best Buy over the weekend, has the blurry photo cover, as did all the copies there.

I haven't seen any of the "official" blue covers anywhere, though obviously that is the cover advertised online. Has anyone got their shipments from Amazon yet? Curious to see what they're sending out.
Ben Dorrigan

Post by Ben Dorrigan »

I got mine at Best Buy and the cover seems almost identical to the one pictured on Amazon and in ads, though maybe a little darker and with the gold "2-Disk Special Edition" band across the bottom. However, I stopped in at a local Wal Mart and the cover they had was completely different--a whitish-tan color with a montage of pictures from the film, and not at all "Lynchian" like the blue/black artwork.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

OK--here is the ugly one people are complaining about in Live Journal; I apologize for the fuzziness; it wasn't scanned right but you get the idea.

sstroud

Post by sstroud »

Annie wrote:Welcome sstroud! Are you in Live Journal? There's a big discussion going on about different covers at different stores. Doesn't this seem wierd? I want the official Blue one, but I haven't gone looking yet. Any suggestions from anybody?
Hi Annie. Thanks for the welcome. I'm not on LiveJournal. Hopefully you or someone else will report your findings here once this mystery is solved. I'm going to try to forget I got the crappy cover and focus on the DVD contents. So far so good!
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

And here's the correct one (at least, we think):
sstroud

Post by sstroud »

Annie wrote:And here's the correct one (at least, we think):
I'm 90% sure I saw a third one unless it was a sleeve over top of this one. I saw one that was blue photo on top, black title section in middle, and blue photo on bottom.
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

I don't know if there's a "correct" and "incorrect" here...there may just be two covers (As there was for Mulholland Dr).

Certainly, the one I got from Best Buy (shown in Annie's first pic) isn't great. Is this cover a Best Buy only edition or have people received that cover from other distributors? Might be interesting to find out if one is (or becomes) more common than the other.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

And here's the third version from Circuit City (it was small to start with):
So, sstroud, you weren't imagining things...