INLAND EMPIRE DVD RELEASE

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Inspector

Post by The Inspector »

I've got a 46-inch Toshiba projection set (HD). I've messed with my settings (based on the calibrations provided on the disc itself) but I'm finding that the "dark" scenes (I mean like it is and it sounds -- scenes with minimal light) are almost impenetrably dark. Like black. Like a camera stumbling around in the dark.

Consequently, the bright scenes are gorgeously bright. Full of color and detail.

I saw this theatrically and I don't remember it being pitch black in so many shots. Anyone else experiencing this or it just me?
"You must be mistaken. I'm alive."
discjunkie
Roadhouse Member

Post by discjunkie »

Well this thread is running a little slow...

Mind if I spice things up a bit? ;)

Check out this Japanese Limited edition dvd combo of Inland Empire and the brand new David Lynch documentary "Lynch 1" that I just picked up. Absolutely wonderful box set if you ask me. :D

Image Image Image Image

Feel free to ask any questions or check out my personal dvd-site for more info on this release (or if you want to leave a comment on the website I'd like that too). :)

http://www.discjunkie.se/index.php?page ... ils&id=163

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realise this edition had it's own thread already. :oops:
/Discjunkie
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

It looks pretty cool but doesn't seem to include MTTH; that is what is needed for other regions than region one. Isn't Lynch One the same thing that is on the second region one disk? Scenes of him making the movie? I've seen some quotes from it and it seems to be the same thing.
discjunkie
Roadhouse Member

Post by discjunkie »

applesnoranges wrote:It looks pretty cool but doesn't seem to include MTTH; that is what is needed for other regions than region one. Isn't Lynch One the same thing that is on the second region one disk? Scenes of him making the movie? I've seen some quotes from it and it seems to be the same thing.
No, More Things That Happened is not included on the japanese edition... actually there aren't any extras at all, except for Lynch One...

As for the material on the second region 1 disc i really can't say if it includes SOME material from the Lynch One documentary but it's obviously not the same...

... and furthermore, Lynch One is not just about the making of Inland Empire - but actually more of a general documentary about Lynch... even if it does follow him during the time of filming Inland Empire...
/Discjunkie
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

It seems to be available from cdjapan.co.jp no more and on "amazon.jp" it seems that one has to be from Japan to order there. But it`s a question whether one should invest approximate Euro 50 (=approximate 75 Dollar) to get Lynch 1 to have a documentary which maybe consists of a great part of Lynch 2.
discjunkie
Roadhouse Member

Post by discjunkie »

MichaelPW wrote:It seems to be available from cdjapan.co.jp no more and on "amazon.jp" it seems that one has to be from Japan to order there. But it`s a question whether one should invest approximate Euro 50 (=approximate 75 Dollar) to get Lynch 1 to have a documentary which maybe consists of a great part of Lynch 2.
I don't think the lynch one documentary is worth the money... unless you're very into packaging and limited editions like myslef (I value a cool dvd case almost as much as I value good extras)...

Besides, Lynch One will most likely be released in several other countries so I'd wait and see (unless you're desperate for the packaging)...
/Discjunkie
discjunkie
Roadhouse Member

Post by discjunkie »

Still available from yesasia though...

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.as ... 010015303/
/Discjunkie
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

Thank you for that link. I would say that I`m very interested in how David Lynch works. Already have an European and an American version. So it would be nice to have a Japanese version, too. Is there also the script of Inland Empire included? I really wonder why Lynch 1 is released secondly with regard to Lynch 2. Oh, and 21 art cards are a thought worth. It seems to be cheaper on amazon.jp than it was on cdjapan.co.jp and is on yesasia.
discjunkie
Roadhouse Member

Post by discjunkie »

MichaelPW wrote:Thank you for that link. I would say that I`m very interested in how David Lynch works. Already have an European and an American version. So it would be nice to have a Japanese version, too. Is there also the script of Inland Empire included? I really wonder why Lynch 1 is released secondly with regard to Lynch 2. Oh, and 21 art cards are a thought worth. It seems to be cheaper on amazon.jp than it was on cdjapan.co.jp and is on yesasia.
There's only the press-kit book (the case itself) included, no separate script...

The book is printed mainly in english though...
/Discjunkie
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

We have talked about it extensively here:
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=698
And Lynch One does not contain any portions of Lynch Two.
TheMysteryMan
Roadhouse Member

The Script

Post by TheMysteryMan »

Yes, there is a script included. It's somewhat handy as a reference, but even though a lot of examples elude me at the moment, I remember being chagrined upon reading it at the number of errors I noticed. I think "Baltic Region" from the opening scene was "Altered Region" in the script or something to that effect. There are also several instances where there's a "?" thrown into the dialog, where the transcriber isn't sure what the speaker was saying and is only guessing--usually incorrectly (in most cases, it's fairly easy stuff to figure out).

I enjoyed Lynch One a good deal. I don't recall any cross-over between it and Lynch Two.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: INLAND EMPIRE DVD RELEASE

Post by Jerry Horne »

Just ordered this! Can't wait to watch it!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM