INLAND EMPIRE DVD RELEASE

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DarkGlobe

Post by DarkGlobe »

Dantalian wrote:So, the HMV edition has an exclusive slipcase?
Does it look like the Virgin one?
No. The HMV slipcase contains the same R2 cover art as the DVD case inside.
DarkGlobe

Post by DarkGlobe »

Would it be possible for those people with scanners to scan and upload their covers? That way we would all at least have a choice about which cover to have. It would be great if we could get all versions of it to choose from. At the minute buying online is a bit of a lottery - and I ended up with the beige 'ugly' one!
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

DarkGlobe wrote:Would it be possible for those people with scanners to scan and upload their covers? That way we would all at least have a choice about which cover to have. It would be great if we could get all versions of it to choose from. At the minute buying online is a bit of a lottery - and I ended up with the beige 'ugly' one!
You may have seen it but I posted one cover that you can print out and use, back on page 8 of this thread. Note that it is not one of the official covers but is created from the European poster. Here it is again...

http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... l1cgg4.jpg
DarkGlobe

Post by DarkGlobe »

twin-b wrote:You may have seen it but I posted one cover that you can print out and use, back on page 8 of this thread. Note that it is not one of the official covers but is created from the European poster. Here it is again...

http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... l1cgg4.jpg
That's great work! Thank you!

I also found a couple of hi-res variations of the cover here:

http://www.cdcovers.cc/search/dvd/inland-empire

It'd be great to find a hi-res version of the black and white one too..
HumanMedia

Post by HumanMedia »

shemsha wrote:DVDBEAVER now has a comparison between R1 and the UK R2

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... empire.htm
Is it just me or does the Region 2 release appear to have a much better image? Better contrast and detail.
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

HumanMedia wrote:
shemsha wrote:DVDBEAVER now has a comparison between R1 and the UK R2

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRevie ... empire.htm
Is it just me or does the Region 2 release appear to have a much better image? Better contrast and detail.
To my eyes, and on my computer monitor, it's just brighter. I think that's what the review indicates as well. So, I'd doubt that the quality (detail) would really be better.
DarkGlobe

Post by DarkGlobe »

In theory at least, PAL DVDs should have more picture detail than NTSC DVDs. This is because PAL has a higher vertical resolution than NTSC (720x576 compared with 720x480).
Having said that, I can't really see any difference in detail between the PAL and NTSC picture examples on dvdbeaver.
If the film was shot with an NTSC format camera, then the PAL version wouldn't have any more detail than the NTSC version anyway.
By the way, I can't see any point in it being released in a High Definition format either (other than to make a buck of course)
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

The cover art for the UK release is much better than the R1 edition. As much as I love my R1 DVD (which is quite frankly manna from heaven) the cover looks like it was printed on an inkjet printer. The design's beautiful but badly executed and to make matters worse a security sticker had been placed over the top of my inlay card and removing it tore away the surface of the paper.
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

FaceInTheLeaves wrote:The cover art for the UK release is much better than the R1 edition. As much as I love my R1 DVD (which is quite frankly manna from heaven) the cover looks like it was printed on an inkjet printer. The design's beautiful but badly executed and to make matters worse a security sticker had been placed over the top of my inlay card and removing it tore away the surface of the paper.
I'm happy with my DVD now that I have my new DVD cover insert that was printed on an inkjet printer.
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

FaceInTheLeaves wrote:The cover art for the UK release is much better than the R1 edition...
I have the Virgin exclusive version, with the black & silver design. It looks fantastic - far superior to the Region 1 version. However, I still prefer the rear sleeve on the US edition, and it goes without saying that my Region 1 import is far, far superior in terms of actual content! ;-)

RR
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Red Room wrote:
FaceInTheLeaves wrote:The cover art for the UK release is much better than the R1 edition...
I have the Virgin exclusive version, with the black & silver design. It looks fantastic - far superior to the Region 1 version. However, I still prefer the rear sleeve on the US edition, and it goes without saying that my Region 1 import is far, far superior in terms of actual content! ;-)

RR
I couldn't agree more. I bought the HMV and Virgin editions of the UK release for the slipcases and (in the case of the HMV DVD) the artcards but they don't compensate for the lack of (substantial) content. Since the R1 DVD arrived my UK disc has been redundant. The special features are amazing and the back cover is beautiful. I really like the R1 artwork, I just think it looks a bit cheap.

What cover have you made, twin-b?
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

FaceInTheLeaves wrote:
Red Room wrote:

RR
I couldn't agree more. I bought the HMV and Virgin editions of the UK release for the slipcases and (in the case of the HMV DVD) the artcards but they don't compensate for the lack of (substantial) content. Since the R1 DVD arrived my UK disc has been redundant. The special features are amazing and the back cover is beautiful. I really like the R1 artwork, I just think it looks a bit cheap.

What cover have you made, twin-b?
3rd post on this page.
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

That works really well. I noticed the picture in the thread but assumed it was the UK cover.
HumanMedia

Post by HumanMedia »

DarkGlobe wrote:In theory at least, PAL DVDs should have more picture detail than NTSC DVDs. This is because PAL has a higher vertical resolution than NTSC (720x576 compared with 720x480).
Having said that, I can't really see any difference in detail between the PAL and NTSC picture examples on dvdbeaver.
If the film was shot with an NTSC format camera, then the PAL version wouldn't have any more detail than the NTSC version anyway.
By the way, I can't see any point in it being released in a High Definition format either (other than to make a buck of course)
The pixel dimensions only matter if they are given full bandwidth to display the full resolution. When a DVD is limted in the amount of space available, say a long film, then the way to fit it onto disc is by reducing the datarate with a low pass filter. The result is a softer image, which is exactly what I see in the R2 to R1 comparisons. But maybe since I do lots of video compression, Im overly sensitive. Also I only agree with DVDBeavers conclusions 50% of the time. They often miss framing errors and ghastly edge enhancement.

Having it on Hidef wold still have the NTSC resolution limitation but would give it the bandwidth it needs not to lose much detail in filtering.
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

I'm much happier with my Uk-version cover art, but I'm going to have to get the R1 DVD for the extra content. It sucks that we don't get the Lynch 2 documentary for instance.

Im also astounded by the colour difference on the actual film between Region 1 and 2. Absurda's version is much better in my opinion! I know it's only subtle but the colours are much warmer..and much darker in places. Fits Lynch better.