fascinating boredom

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mb3
RR Diner Member

Re: fascinating boredom

Post by Mb3 »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Nastassja Kinski is in Inland Empire?! LOL, I really need to watch that movie again...
She's sitting next to Laura Dern in the finale during the credits when the whole dance sequence (Nina Simone - Sinnerman) takes place.
At first I always assumed Kinskis small appearance at the end was just some kind of homage or tribute (because Lynch admired her work) but then after watching More Things That Happened I figured out that she actually had a small part in IE that was cut out later.
Jonfen

Post by Jonfen »

Despite being a big Lynch fan, I actually haven't watched this one yet. I DID recently pick up a copy, however.

Should I watch it in one sitting, or perhaps break it up into parts? I normally hate doing the latter but I've heard this can be quite a struggle of a film!
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I don't know about breaking into parts. Doesn't sound like a particularly good idea to me. But it might be great to watch Inland Empire by scenes. I mean, not like: part 1, part 2, part 3, but just random scenes. A lot of them are WOW!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Jonatan Silva
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jonatan Silva »

I watched IE only once and I needed to divide it into three parts. As happened to BOB1, I felt so tired in the three parts. I lked the movie more 'cause its inner mystery and for being a Lynch's work than for understanding any meaning of it. I didn't realise that some many people didn't understand or felt uncomfortable for some reason when watching this piece.

I'm intending to watch it again soon and I'm glad for sharing my impressions with you guys.

p.s.: does anybody know if there's some source in which I can watch the whole Rabbits series?
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Jonatan Silva wrote:p.s.: does anybody know if there's some source in which I can watch the whole Rabbits series?
Jonatan Silva
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jonatan Silva »

qbin2001 wrote:
Jonatan Silva wrote:p.s.: does anybody know if there's some source in which I can watch the whole Rabbits series?
Look qbin2001 what I found (by chance):

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/lynch/dav ... h-rabbits/
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

I wouldn't bother breaking it into parts: it's the transitions between the 'parts' that are (kinda) the point.
Dining With Diane
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dining With Diane »

Since Inland Empire started life as a bunch of separate things (Rabbits, Axxon N, etc) that grew together into a single thing with a 180 minute running time, I see nothing wrong with breaking it into two or three viewings. maybe start on Saturday morning during breakfast because who doesn't want David Lynch saturday morning cartoons, come back saturday night for a bit more once you've had time to digest, and finish it off on Sunday?

in the special features disc, there's a David Lynch cooking show. he makes quinoa with broccoli and tells stories about travelling in europe.
http://diningwithdiane.tumblr.com/
Dining with Diane - the food blog of Special Agent Dale Cooper
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Dining With Diane wrote:Since Inland Empire started life as a bunch of separate things (Rabbits, Axxon N, etc) that grew together into a single thing with a 180 minute running time, I see nothing wrong with breaking it into two or three viewings. maybe start on Saturday morning during breakfast because who doesn't want David Lynch saturday morning cartoons
A whole new spin on Bugs Bunny! ;)
Dining With Diane
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dining With Diane »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
Dining With Diane wrote:Since Inland Empire started life as a bunch of separate things (Rabbits, Axxon N, etc) that grew together into a single thing with a 180 minute running time, I see nothing wrong with breaking it into two or three viewings. maybe start on Saturday morning during breakfast because who doesn't want David Lynch saturday morning cartoons
Twin peaks has that "Diane, I am holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies" moment in the pilot, and Inland Empire has this:
looks like a small box of chocolate bunnies might look, from the perspective of the bunnies.
http://diningwithdiane.tumblr.com/
Dining with Diane - the food blog of Special Agent Dale Cooper
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Dining With Diane wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:
Twin peaks has that "Diane, I am holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies" moment in the pilot, and Inland Empire has this:
looks like a small box of chocolate bunnies might look, from the perspective of the bunnies.
Brilliant!