Possible IE dvd defect?

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

RBinPerson

Possible IE dvd defect?

Post by RBinPerson »

Hi--
My Disk 1 of IE has defects. At least five places during the movie, the disk stops playing as if there was a scratch or something on the disk. I have to push the "Step" button on my remote to advance the movie to the next frame, and then press "Play"--and then the movie keeps playing as normal. This occurs five times throughout the film! I've written to Asymmetrical Studios in Hollywood to tell them about it but have received no reply. The problem is that I can't return the DVD. I bought it in L.A. when I was there at Lynch's Barnes & Noble signing. I live in Chicago and brought the signed DVD home with me... but now don't have a receipt. And besides, it's a signed copy!

When I look closely at the disk, I see nothing wrong.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know of a different address to write to so that I can ask for a disk swap?

--RB
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Re: Possible IE dvd defect?

Post by twin-b »

RBinPerson wrote:Hi--
My Disk 1 of IE has defects. At least five places during the movie, the disk stops playing as if there was a scratch or something on the disk. I have to push the "Step" button on my remote to advance the movie to the next frame, and then press "Play"--and then the movie keeps playing as normal. This occurs five times throughout the film! I've written to Asymmetrical Studios in Hollywood to tell them about it but have received no reply. The problem is that I can't return the DVD. I bought it in L.A. when I was there at Lynch's Barnes & Noble signing. I live in Chicago and brought the signed DVD home with me... but now don't have a receipt. And besides, it's a signed copy!

When I look closely at the disk, I see nothing wrong.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know of a different address to write to so that I can ask for a disk swap?

--RB
Check the amazon.com forum on the inland empire page. Several people had this or similar problem. I think they had same problem with multiple copies. Must be a incompatibility with the DVD player?
Parkamarka

Post by Parkamarka »

Disc 1 on my Region 2 box has a similar issue. It plays fine in my main DVD player (which is rather expensive), but I haven't got it to run correctly on anything else (eg. Playstation, Mac, cheaper DVD players). Strangely, the problems are different in every case - the PS2 won't recognise the disc, the cheaper player freezes on the menu, and the Mac just makes an ungodly noise when spinning the disc.

I exchanged it for another copy but had the same issue - neither disc were scratched or damaged. Could it be due to the size of the feature on the disc or something? Sound unlikely, but... :?
biotron
Roadhouse Member

Post by biotron »

yep, same here - can't get it to play in the laptop (R2, disc 1)
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

I've had minor problems with my Region 1. The picture freezes for a few seconds in two places during More Things That Happened. It only does it on one of my DVD players though so I couldn't be bothered to return it. I've had no problems with the Region 2 release.
silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

Robin Davies wrote:I've had minor problems with my Region 1. The picture freezes for a few seconds in two places during More Things That Happened. It only does it on one of my DVD players though so I couldn't be bothered to return it. I've had no problems with the Region 2 release.
This problem in particular sounds like a layer skip. Are you familiar with layer skips at all?
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

Do you mean a pause where the DVD is supposed to change layers? It seems odd to have two so close together. One occurs during the snowfall sequence and the other occurs during the scene of the prostitutes arguing on the street.
RBinPerson

Post by RBinPerson »

It's obviously a mastering problem, as the disks apparently don't work properly on SOME Dvd players.

Who do we write? I've written to Asymmetrical/Absurda and haven't got a reply (3 weeks). Anyone have the Rhino address?

RB
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

My R2 disc plays fine. Not tried the R1 one yet, so I better do so soon, I guess.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

I had that issue. It would play on my dvd-rom on the laptop, but not on my DVD player. When I exchanged it for another one, I had the same issue. So, I bought another DVD player, and it worked fine on the new one. As an added bonus, I was able to convert the new player to a region free player, and bought the UK 2-disc edition of Lost Highway.
Sugardrugged Fairy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sugardrugged Fairy »

Same problem with R1 here. It freezes almost every 5 minutes. I tried it on 2 different dvd-roms.
venusdm

Post by venusdm »

Mine in also incompatible with my DVD. So is my Dynamic 01. It gets stuck loading the menu. It works fine on my PC, however. Still, it's annoying.
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

Mine is buggy. Sometimes it's this problem but an even bigger problem is that it won't start normally from the menu. It plays the FBI warning OK and then goes dead and I have to turn the player completely off then on again. Usually after no more than 6 tries it will come to a generic DVD screen from which I can push the menu button and then get it to play. So ... I gave up after a while and played it on a computer. It plays OK on my Mac with the VLC player. I have the same problem with Lynch One. It's just a funky thing.