Queen Kelly

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Re: Queen Kelly

Post by MichaelPW »

Ah, yes, the scene with the whip. I guess that I was too fascinated by that looooooong hair of Gloria Swanson to draw parallels to IE.
Great page! Thank you for that!
jina
Roadhouse Member

Post by jina »

Carl wrote: The silent film I most want to see restored remains Metropolis. The decades old, on-going project to recover lost footage continues, it seems, but it'll be astounding luck to find substantially more. What an epic!
Also, I've yet to see the restored Intolerance.
i' ll check out "intolerance", from the same director i've seen "Broken Blossoms" which was a bit depressing to be honest.
but Fritz Lang is definitely a master. i have seen "Scarlet Street" also which isn't silent but it's a really nice story.
Ah, yes, the scene with the whip. I guess that I was too fascinated by that looooooong hair of Gloria Swanson to draw parallels to IE.
it's similar in a very general way i guess.

there's no point to say that this idea was based on that or the other.

but when you watch a silent film today, it has a weird feeling since we are so used to other kind of movies. not to mention that all who're starring are dead now :lol:
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

The directors perhaps had to put more attention to what should be "said". So maybe there is a bigger weight on what is "said".
jina wrote:not to mention that all who're starring are dead now :lol:

Yes, I often think about that when I see animals in silent movies. For example, horses in Nosferatu (and I don`t know it exactly but I guess that there are more animals) or the dogs or the cat in Queen Kelly.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

I note the return, in recent years, to long, 'silent' ( that is, without dialouge) sequences, as in the interesting There Will Be Blood.
It's useful dramaticaly to show something happening, without constantly explaining to the audience just what, letting the music or ambient sounds set the mood.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

Carl wrote:It's useful dramaticaly to show something happening, without constantly explaining to the audience just what, letting the music or ambient sounds set the mood.
Yes, that is also what I like in Inland Empire.
Garfed

Post by Garfed »

I have seen from the line, but from inlandempirecinema.com Forum ("lynching"), who knows very well to Qk, Qk someone to the title of the film stills can not find them. Perhaps the bonus material...
Attachments
shocked.gif
shocked.gif (2.13 KiB) Viewed 17432 times