Scene 35

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Re: Scene 35

Post by applesnoranges »

jina wrote:they rehearsing in a very serious way (like they should), so there's the impression that they are talking as nikki and devon.

she asks him if those things he said were the truth. The previous day he said that there was no way he would do anything with her. (but he actually did)
the dialogue is very open and since OHIBT is about a forbidden love story, it relates to this.

and then she tells him to look into the other room, which he actually does.
Oh! Hey! I didn't notice that! More food for thought, good one!
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

Kiddo wrote:Fred's TV is all black, while LG's is silver with black framing the screen. Totally different models.
I'll post the scenes again pretty soon with corrections. I just want to identify the scenes so the new list will be trimmed of some of these ornaments.
But on a more positive note, Adam's car looks pretty much identical to Devon's if you ask me. And while there are no plate shots to verify that they are the same car (as opposed to same model) I think it is a very interesting observation.
I can't see the Vehicle Identification Number through the window :lol: but I think its the same joke punch line.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

The smiling of "Kinski" seems to be rather connected to the "following" presence of the rabbit. There seems to be a difference. Maybe the rabbit "is a little bit too far away" in the feature.
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Revised Scene List

Post by applesnoranges »

A more purely descriptive list. I'm including MichaelPW's suggestions not to include the spotlight and to include the moon as a scene, but I think these are doubtful. Lynch said in one of the bonus features that the movie begins with a quiet sound followed by a loud sound, so for him, the movie begins right before we see the spotlight. The moon seems to me to be part of the Doris scene following it to show that this indoor scene is at night (and so following her flight from the scene of the crime at the end). Nikki waiting in her blue robe might be a separate scene, I don't know, but all these could be part of getting ready to shoot again. Anyway, I'll include these changes and ask if anyone has more suggestions.

The only point I have here is to show that when Kingsley says to go through scene 35, that he means not only scene 35 in OHIBT with it's apology dialog, but scene 35 in IE as well, in which he is one of the characters. I think it is an important principle of the movie that the movie refers to itself.

1. record player
2. hotel hallway, b/w hotel room scene
3. LG watching blank TV
4. First Rabbits sequence. Jack apparates in Janek's lounge.
5. Janek and the Phantom wanting to go in
6. Visitor #1 stays for coffee
7. Tomorrow: Nikki gets the part. Lucas on the stairs.
8. Kingsley's speech in the office.
9. Starlight Celebrity Show.
10. Devin's crew warns him. Nikki's congratulates her, ties hair in pony tail.
11. Nikki arrives at work, front page of OHIBT. Nikki and Devon have coffee.
12. Kingsley talks about going through scenes, for instance scene 35.
13. Nikki and Devon go through scene 35.
14. Freddy hears something. Devon goes to look. Arrives at Smithy's house.
15. Kingsley explains the curse.
16. Nikki meets Mr. & Mrs. Zydowicz
17. The moon.
18. Doris in the police station
19. Nikki and Devon film the garden scene and discuss performances.
20. Kingsley talks to crew: "So we're going to leave this lovely weather!"
21. Freddy bums a few bucks.
22. Make up scene. "Who is playing Smithy?"
23. Dinner party: "Where did everyone go?"
24. Piotrek lays it out to Devon.
25. Bucky J. and the 2K. Work on these lighting cues. Nikki waits in blue robe.
26. Susan stays for a drink.
27. More discussion on the set, lighting, Freddy borrowing.
28. Devon invites Nikki to dinner.
39. Billy gives Susan a feel.
30. "It sounds like dialogue from our script." Susan sees the movie set.
31. The producer talks to Devon about stories.
32. The kissing scene.
33. Nikki and Devon and Susan and Billy in bed. Today but I know it's tomorrow.
34. Nikki brings groceries to Adam's car and sees the predicted Axxon N. sees herself rehearsing scene 35.
35. Runs into Smithy's house "” Devon/Billy arrives to see her looking out the window.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

I tried to find out what scene 47 is and failed. Tend to see scenes as quite short ones. Probably I would be at a higher number of scenes "at scene 35". But I recognized something I didn`t before. That Kingsley says that they go on with scene 27. Yes, I also see the moon connected to the police station-scene. But it has a quite symbolic power and therefore can be seen as one scene, too, I think. There`s an important scene "between 10 and 11". Nikki thinking about certain things, passing a door and maybe we have a reflection here.
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

When does Kingsley say that about scene 27? I don't remember that.
Kiddo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kiddo »

Unless I missed something, there is no mention of scene 27. For what it's worth, chapter 27 of IE appears to be the one where Nikki gets confused during a scene.

As some of you have noticed, breaking IE down into scenes is a difficult and somewhat subjective project.

I agree with Berny that chapter 35 is the chapter where Susan becomes trapped inside Smithy's house and calls out for Billy through the window. It's definitely within two or three chapters by any reasonable method of breaking down the scenes.

Following this logic, I believe that chapter 47 is the rabbit scene where the room turns red. But as with chapter 35, there is about a two or three chapter margin of error here.
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

The idea of what constitutes a scene itself seems subjective, as differences between our guesses here show. So in order to know what David Lynch regarded as a scene we'd have to see his script, but it doesn't matter to me exactly what he saw as that scene. I'd just been curious for some time about whether scene 35 spoken of by Kingsley corresponded to scene 35 in IE, and the fact that it comes close is interesting enough for me.
Kiddo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kiddo »

So we agree.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

'...When does Kingsley say that about scene 27? I don't remember that....'
It ain't Kingsley, but an assistant ( not Freddy) who says something about Scene 27, after the 'all I see from this is blue tomorrows', good weather scene.
What he says is inaudible. The fucking French subtitles omit the line entirely.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

Kiddo wrote:Following this logic, I believe that chapter 47 is the rabbit scene where the room turns red.
That would be quite interesting.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

Carl wrote:It ain't Kingsley, but an assistant ( not Freddy) who says something about Scene 27, after the 'all I see from this is blue tomorrows', good weather scene.
What he says is inaudible. The fucking French subtitles omit the line entirely.
Yes, after the garden scene. Ok, it can be that it doesn`t come from Kingsley. I have it from German subtitles.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

'...I have it from German subtitles.'
You have a dvd with German subtitles?
Hey! This makes you a real resource.
What does that particular title say, in German?
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

Carl wrote:What does that particular title say, in German?
Well, I don`t remember it exactly, probably because it is not the way people are remembering things. But it`s something in the sense of "Bei diesem schönen Wetter müssen wir rein?!..Ok, weiter mit Szene 27".
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Hi, long time Lynch fan from Finland here. I have quite a lot stuff boiling in my head considering IE and this movie has been somekind of obsession to me lately. It always feel that the "solution" is just waiting there behind the next corridor... Before I start to mumble about all of my recollections I wanted to comment about this "brain" in the beginning scene with the vinyl record player. Last time I watched it and checked it with pausing and playing it suddenly reminded me of a shot in the gate corridor in polish street scene that is upsetting Laura Dern's character quite a lot. I mean the texture seems same. My DVD don't have scenes so I didn't jumped back and forth, but as I red about this brain it came to me. Maybe I have to check it now...

And BTW does anyone know can we "trust" the subtitles, are they based on audiotrack or some "official" written english script?