Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

jina
Roadhouse Member

Re: "It Was Red"

Post by jina »

here's my very personal point of view :

Smithy is a character on OHIBT.
Piotrek is Smithy only for Nikki, because Smithy's house for Nikki is the house she once lived with Piotrek.
it's very possible that i'm wrong and i'm not absolute to this, but this is my thinking on this so far..
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

I take MichaelPW's point about argument #2. I don't consider why or how Piotreck got to the shed as being relevant to deciding if it's he or Smithy that is the character in that scene.
That does not mean it isn't Smithy, of course, just that it doesn't lend weight to the identification.
**'...Piotrek is Smithy only for Nikki,... ...'
Now, this I want to think about. Thanx for introducing a new viewpoint on this central issue.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

I've thought about Jina's last post on this thrad and here's an interpretation on the point of Smithy's id:
It may be that her guilt over the affair with Devon , blended as it is with her character, Sue's, guilt over hers with Billy causes her to see the actor, whoever he might be, playing Smithy as her husband, Piotrek.
Those scenes in Poland at the shed and seance, may also fit this interpretation as Sue is 'seeing' through the silk and watching them.
Perhaps I prefer the interpretation that Piotrek actualy portrays Smithy, have to think some more.
**The silk you 'see' through:
A fabric, woven from different strands ( although not by a spider, but by a silkworm moth) into a single object that obscures the individual threads ( lives, dreams, whatever).
To 'see' the destiny of any particular thread, one must fold it and burn a hole so as to remove the integrity of the object itself ( the overall pattern of several lives) and allow focus on a single thread.
Kiddo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kiddo »

My feeling is that Susan's world is essentially a psychic construct in which she has been trapped by the conflicting forces of Phantom and Lost Girl. Nikki is trapped in Susan's story which she has little or no control over, but the settings and characters are drawn from her psyche. So, in this sense, I agree with you that she perceives Smithy as being played by Peter Lucas because her (Nikki's) real world husband is Piotrek.

I hope this post makes sense but, upon rereading it, I am not so sure...
jina
Roadhouse Member

Post by jina »

Carl wrote:I've thought about Jina's last post on this thrad and here's an interpretation on the point of Smithy's id:
It may be that her guilt over the affair with Devon , blended as it is with her character, Sue's, guilt over hers with Billy causes her to see the actor, whoever he might be, playing Smithy as her husband, Piotrek.

definitely there's a feeling of guilt but i didn't actually think about this 'till now that you mention it.
it seems more to me that a certain situation and certain things and objects could make a person remember other things.
and to me it happens that when you have lived in an apartment for sometime that place could give you certain feelings when you go back to it. the same if you visit a place, which isn't the same but it reminds you of it. and that's a really weird feeling.
(i know people who have visit places that they have never been before but they have this feeling of familiarity to these places and it's very weird.)
i thought that Smithy's house is a place like this.

it's like that scene when Nikki's looking the ketchup on her husbands white t-shirt.
it's the image itself that gives her a connection to something else.