Geography of Smithy's house

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Re: Geography of Smithy's house

Post by applesnoranges »

1. OK then if that hallway the portal door leads to remains constant and runs parallel to the back hall leading to the bedroom "” could that not be the hallway that leads to the back yard, running alongside the bedroom? The circus performers emerge from that doorway, but how did they get there? It's not likely that Gordy put them on a jet to accompany him at his 3:00 meeting and then they all entered Smithy's House from the front and walkd through into the back yard. They seem to have come from the Polish part of the movie directly into that hallway.

2. Another thing I thought of: Looking at my capture above of Sue crossing the yard, the horizontally crenelated area behind her, beyond the kitchen window, resembles the wall where she dies. Before the death scene, this area of wall seems to be part of the same street environment from the stabbing scene and her flight across Hollywood and Vine, but after the scene has ended and Nikki gets up and walks away, we see that it is in the studio. I don't see a way to describe the similarity between the part of Sue's house and the place where Nikki's character dies except to say that one is a reflection of the other, like so many things in the movie.

3. Oh, and another thing I just thought of: When it is 3:00 PM in California, it is Midnight in Poland.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

applesnoranges wrote:1. OK then if that hallway the portal door leads to remains constant and runs parallel to the back hall leading to the bedroom "” could that not be the hallway that leads to the back yard, running alongside the bedroom? The circus performers emerge from that doorway, but how did they get there? It's not likely that Gordy put them on a jet to accompany him at his 3:00 meeting and then they all entered Smithy's House from the front and walkd through into the back yard. They seem to have come from the Polish part of the movie directly into that hallway.
Yes I think that this "Smithy's secret room" can be a big part of the house and also that back door can be "in there". One thing that puzzles in this is the fact that there seems to be a vacuum cleaner in there if I recall it right.

I don't think these interior and outerior scenes are filmed in same location, even though digital camcorder makes this a possibility. If someone knows for sure, I would like to know about it.

To me there are two explanations to this portal: either it is really that or maybe it is only Sue who cannot enter there. If carnies come from there it suggest to me that in "reality" it is only part of house where Sue can't go because of trauma or hypnosis. And if this house is mental construction of Sue, based on her real life, then it "can" be anything.

And about those carnies and especially that Gordy: they look just that (eastern european carnies)in the barbecue scene but I always thought that this Janek and Gordy in Poland seemed like mob people (well, they could also be plummers or businessmen but definitely not carnies :) ).
applesnoranges wrote:
3. Oh, and another thing I just thought of: When it is 3:00 PM in California, it is Midnight in Poland.
I also thought about this earlier and what puzzled me the most was this: when its 9:45am in LA it is 0:45am in poland. But it doesn't seem to fit.

All in all I am puzzled about this Lynch method where he cherishes the coincidence and subconcious "ideas" because he seems to believe in some deeper metaphysical connection with stuff but that kind of thinking might also lead to neverending circles and mazes. It has worked brilliantly in the past but I think IE is his deepest dive into this realm.

I wouldn't be very nice to people to create a work of art that drives them into obsession and insanity. But I can easily believe that he is capable to do that :) .
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

gavriloP wrote:Yes I think that this "Smithy's secret room" can be a big part of the house and also that back door can be "in there". One thing that puzzles in this is the fact that there seems to be a vacuum cleaner in there if I recall it right.
From the outside we can also see a vent going to the roof from that little hallway, which suggests that maybe there is something inside like a clothes dryer, but it's hard to imagine how there could be room for much in there.
To me there are two explanations to this portal: either it is really that or maybe it is only Sue who cannot enter there. If carnies come from there it suggest to me that in "reality" it is only part of house where Sue can't go because of trauma or hypnosis. And if this house is mental construction of Sue, based on her real life, then it "can" be anything.
It seems to be a doorway between worlds or universes (or stories); people go back and forth from the Polish and American parts of the story.
And about those carnies and especially that Gordy: they look just that (eastern european carnies)in the barbecue scene but I always thought that this Janek and Gordy in Poland seemed like mob people (well, they could also be plummers or businessmen but definitely not carnies :) ).
I don't know about that. My grandfather and his brothers were carnies and Janek especially looks a lot like them and the crowd they hung out with.
Suvlehim Takatc

Post by Suvlehim Takatc »

It's an improved version of the scheme of the Smithy's house.
Attachments
Дом Смити 2.JPG
Дом Смити 2.JPG (41.33 KiB) Viewed 15401 times
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

Suvlehim Takatc wrote:It's an improved version of the scheme of the Smithy's house.
I'm not sure how to match the outside with the inside. Don't the circus performers exit and go back in to look for the toilet through a hallway that is right next to the bedroom? And the bedroom extends far beyond the wall where the kitchen is; from the outside, the house has somewhat of an "L" shape.

Also, the view of the outside that I posted on the first page is to show that there is a large space between the kitchen window and the edge of the house, with a garage door or something, something with horizontal lines or boards. In your version and in the other version on the first page the kitchen window is near the edge of the house, but in the outside view, the window (behind Dern in the picture) is followed by a recessed area with the horizontal boards and the end of the house from which she left to empty the garbage is a long way from the window.

In the last part of the movie where Nikki is chasing the phantom etc., she goes through that side door he came out of and winds up in back of the Axxon N door. How did she do that?

In other words, I'm not sure that all these things match up consistently.