Blu Ray- Essential Movies to Have

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
mtwentz

Blu Ray- Essential Movies to Have

Postby mtwentz » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:23 am

Now that I FINALLY bought a Blu Ray player just so I can can all the extras for the Limited Event Series, I will also plan to buy a few other Blu Rays. I'm not a believer in gigantic collections-not willing to spend that amount of $$$$- but I would like to have a few Blu Ray discs besides Twin Peaks. Here is what I am planning on so far:

-2001: A Space Odyssey
-House That Screamed (obscure Spanish horror film from 1968 that recently came out on Blu Ray)
-Sound of Music (great to pull out for a family watch now and then)
-Oliver! (see sound of music above)
-Barry Lyndon (never seen it, but since it's Kubrick, know I'll probably like it)

I would like to expand beyond the choices above. I am just curious as to what everyone else considers an essential Blu Ray to have in their collection, Criterion or otherwise. Thanks for any input you are able to give!

Edit: I've heard a title called "Planet Earth 2" is a must have. Can anyone vouch for or refute this?
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
AgentEcho

Re: Blu Ray- Essential Movies to Have

Postby AgentEcho » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:24 am

Baraka and Samsara - Both are great "demo" Blu Rays, to test the prowess of your display and audio, and they are also both great cinematic experiences, albeit non-traditional, non-narrative and very idiosyncratic (to the point where certain people may not jive with its style or intentions).
konoyaro

Re: Blu Ray- Essential Movies to Have

Postby konoyaro » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:47 pm

For me, the quality of BluRay and being able to have a "hard copy" of films I like make it a useful medium to collect. Two I might suggest you check out are:
Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
In The Mood For Love

The first, features Bowie as the lead where he displays some very good acting. I believe he said it was one of the few films he was proud of.
The second as it effectively uses mood and texture as a primary character in the film - something of an important element to Lynch films.

Both films are on the Criterion label who also have a relationship with several Lynch films. Bonus is they have sales a couple times a year.

Return to “Hap's Diner”