Antkind by Charlie Kaufman

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Mr. Reindeer

Antkind by Charlie Kaufman

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:54 am

Has anyone read (or started reading) Kaufman’s novel? I know a couple of users were looking forward to it. I found it a lot broader and zanier than I was expecting, and lacking much of the humanity of Kaufman’s last few films. That said, I enjoyed it immensely for its humor, experimentation with form, philosophical off-ramps, and the expected Kaufman innovative scenarios and concepts as the novel spins delightfully into pure entropic craziness (while still feeling completely cohesive by the end). Sadly, no Lynch references amongst the myriad allusions (The Elephant Man gets a mention, but it’s the Bernard Pomerance play, not the film).
mtwentz

Re: Antkind by Charlie Kaufman

Postby mtwentz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:01 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Has anyone read (or started reading) Kaufman’s novel? I know a couple of users were looking forward to it. I found it a lot broader and zanier than I was expecting, and lacking much of the humanity of Kaufman’s last few films. That said, I enjoyed it immensely for its humor, experimentation with form, philosophical off-ramps, and the expected Kaufman innovative scenarios and concepts as the novel spins delightfully into pure entropic craziness (while still feeling completely cohesive by the end). Sadly, no Lynch references amongst the myriad allusions (The Elephant Man gets a mention, but it’s the Bernard Pomerance play, not the film).

Haven't read it, but sounds like I need to put it on my list!
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
Rigpa

Re: Antkind by Charlie Kaufman

Postby Rigpa » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:53 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Has anyone read (or started reading) Kaufman’s novel? I know a couple of users were looking forward to it. I found it a lot broader and zanier than I was expecting, and lacking much of the humanity of Kaufman’s last few films. That said, I enjoyed it immensely for its humor, experimentation with form, philosophical off-ramps, and the expected Kaufman innovative scenarios and concepts as the novel spins delightfully into pure entropic craziness (while still feeling completely cohesive by the end). Sadly, no Lynch references amongst the myriad allusions (The Elephant Man gets a mention, but it’s the Bernard Pomerance play, not the film).

I'm fourth in the queue at my library for Antkind. Waiting (im)patiently!

Return to “Hap's Diner”