Antkind by Charlie Kaufman

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Rigpa

Re: Antkind by Charlie Kaufman

Postby Rigpa » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:45 am

And a cigarette appearing out of nowhere into Buckley's hand!
Mr. Reindeer

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:20 am

Rigpa wrote:And a cigarette appearing out of nowhere into Buckley's hand!

Yes, I thought of that too!
Mr. Reindeer

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:31 am

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Rigpa wrote:And a cigarette appearing out of nowhere into Buckley's hand!

Yes, I thought of that too!

BTW, I missed this (mostly because freeze framing on Netflix’s app is a pain in the keister and I gave up), but someone on Reddit pointed out that Jake’s Childhood Bedroom features a glamour poster of a young Piper Laurie! (He also has a Carrie VHS.)
AXX°N N.

Postby AXX°N N. » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:11 pm

Haven't read Antkind yet (sitting in my pile!) but wow, 'i'm thinking of ending things' has been the first thing since TP S3 where I'm constantly gravitating back to thinking about it, sometimes without even knowing it. As someone who's totally clueless about theater, I didn't even realize that the ending was an extended homage to 'Oklahoma!' and because of that, it seemed extremely unhinged and surreal to me. Because there's a 'A Beautiful Mind' parody sandwiched inbetween the 'Oklahoma!' stuff, and there's a DVD of it in said bedroom scene, it's dawning on me how important that scene is. Someone should (maybe they already have?) do an entire essay just analyzing what's in that room and its potential reflection elsewhere in the film. It's clear that, aside from the themes of isolation, failure to reconcile differences in the Other, and the aging of the mind, the film is heavily themed on media and how it (sometimes spectrally) paints the interior of our heads.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Reindeer

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:24 pm

AXX°N N. wrote:Haven't read Antkind yet (sitting in my pile!) but wow, 'i'm thinking of ending things' has been the first thing since TP S3 where I'm constantly gravitating back to thinking about it, sometimes without even knowing it. As someone who's totally clueless about theater, I didn't even realize that the ending was an extended homage to 'Oklahoma!' and because of that, it seemed extremely unhinged and surreal to me. Because there's a 'A Beautiful Mind' parody sandwiched inbetween the 'Oklahoma!' stuff, and there's a DVD of it in said bedroom scene, it's dawning on me how important that scene is. Someone should (maybe they already have?) do an entire essay just analyzing what's in that room and its potential reflection elsewhere in the film. It's clear that, aside from the themes of isolation, failure to reconcile differences in the Other, and the aging of the mind, the film is heavily themed on media and how it (sometimes spectrally) paints the interior of our heads.

Yeah, I think the dialogue when Jake and Lucy(?) say culture is like a virus that burrows into our minds is key, as is the scene in the basement where Buckley’s character quotes Oscar Wilde quoting Ralph Waldo Emerson (!) about how few people really have original ideas.

Antkind is very different tonally, but explores many of the same themes as IToEt.

Return to “Hap's Diner”