Last Film You Watched

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
human germ
Roadhouse Member

Re: Last Film You Watched

Post by human germ »

Carl: thanks for the heads up. i imagine that netflix has only the edited version. which is fine with me, because nudity makes me feel very uncomfortable. for all my left of center political leanings, i am truly victorian when it comes to bein' nekkid...
but i'll know for sure if the one i've rented will be nudity free when i do view the dvd.
done bun; can't be undone
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

Ghost
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

Ghost was , I believe, # 1 on the 'top 10 Bardo Movies' list at amazon.com. One of my wife's faves.
IE was also down there somewhere.
OT:Kate and Leopold, good cast and direction, bit soppy. There was really little need to dress Jackman so 'resplendently', as his acting would have carried the day in any event.
human germ
Roadhouse Member

Post by human germ »

am renting the 90's tv series from netflix, 'my so called life'. i adore shows like these and am a huge fan of the original degrassi jr high and degrassi high series. not so much a fan of the later incarnation in the 2000's, but did find them riveting nonetheless.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

I just watched Kieslowski's Three colors: Blue first time in many years and it was still as beautiful as ever. It is very straight forward moving film but still haunting. And now that it's Europe ideology isn't so acute, I can watch it in a different light. It was refreshing.

And Human germ, have you seen Freaks and Geeks? I think it was marvelous high school TV drama series, but of course they cancelled it :(
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

I am going to watch Rules of Attraction, again, but still have to finish Inland.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Hey you student of Buck! ;)

If you are watching IE then drop everything else and really give it the space it needs! It is the most mindblowing film Lynch has ever done! It is just plain hard!
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Last night I finallly had the chance to watch Audition on dvd. I'm surprised because I didn't expect it to be as good as it was.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

gavriloP wrote:Hey you student of Buck! ;)

If you are watching IE then drop everything else and really give it the space it needs! It is the most mindblowing film Lynch has ever done! It is just plain hard!
I finished it last night. It is the most bizarre Lynch movie ever. I really enjoyed it, but I can't figure any of it out.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

The fun of IE, for me, is in the way it is loose enough to open the mind to speculation( one of the useful qualities of art) and yet strongly enough structured that we can sense, even before we can articulate, its cohesion.
OT: Excaliber, the most faithful ( which ain't saying much) adaptation of Malory's Morte d'Arthur.
a staggeringly brilliant production on all levels. They had the good taste to simply use Wagner's music, instead of composing psuedo-wagnerian stuff. ( and Carl Orff; this is where I first heard O Fortuna.) The acting is wonderful. There is humor witout camp; splendid naked women;stunning cinematography...the complete catalog.
True, the sight of all these 'dark ages' warriors running around in 13th Century armor 24/7 is anachronistic, but this is a fairy-tale, after all.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

Excalibur is a great film.
human germ
Roadhouse Member

Post by human germ »

carl- the wagner score to that movie sounds gorgeous indeed. though i'll pass on the naked women...
It is the most bizarre Lynch movie ever. I really enjoyed it, but I can't figure any of it out.
indeed. this is how i have felt when viewing most of lynch's movies. however, i didn't have trouble understanding twin peaks/fwwm, or even eraserhead. i love the set design on any movie i've seen; i enjoy his love of period and vintage. as well as the lighting which makes use of a lot of darkness. but, beyond that, i am always befuddled.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

human germ wrote:carl- the wagner score to that movie sounds gorgeous indeed. though i'll pass on the naked women...
It is the most bizarre Lynch movie ever. I really enjoyed it, but I can't figure any of it out.
indeed. this is how i have felt when viewing most of lynch's movies. however, i didn't have trouble understanding twin peaks/fwwm, or even eraserhead. i love the set design on any movie i've seen; i enjoy his love of period and vintage. as well as the lighting which makes use of a lot of darkness. but, beyond that, i am always befuddled.
Inland is the first to give me too much trouble. Eraserhead was never a great mystery to me either, and it was my first Lynch film.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

The Children Of Huang Shi
Epic and sentimental. Recreates in a lavish fashion the 'rape of Nanking'and features some location shots on the 'silk road'.
I'm starting to recognize some of the scenery in China where they film a lot. The Painted Veil must have been filmed near the gorges along the river. ( I'm a big fan of Maugham, film adaptations and the novels; someone should do a faithful miniseries of Of Human Bondage, as none of the 3 I've seen tell very much of the story.)
human germ
Roadhouse Member

Post by human germ »

...miniseries of Of Human Bondage...
oh, that'd be wonderful indeed. i enjoyed that book so much. lol, i recall hearing on a 'leave it to beaver' episode, the beav pronouncing that author's name as ' mogham' instead of, of course, 'maum'. i'm a huge fan of the beav, btw...