Last Film You Watched

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
iar
RR Diner Member

Re: Last Film You Watched

Post by iar »

qbin2001 wrote:
peaked&confused wrote:The Birds (1963).
Watched another one of those movies about a small, picture perfect town which comes to grip with an unprovoked menace, complete with an interestingly named character.
I love "Birds"! Seen so many times...

My last film: Shutter Island - great movie.
I watched Psycho last week... masterpiece. Everything about it is fantastic. Even my little sister, so accustomed to the gore of today's horror films, loved it and was genuinely scared in parts. You know, I've seen parts of it countless times but never sat down to watch the entire thing from beginning to end. What struck me the most was the way that Hitchcock's direction looks effortless. And yet, it is full of clever angles, tricks, subtleties. Loved it.

I watched Cabin in the Woods earlier this week. I confess that I'm quite a fan of Joss Whedon because he doesn't take sci-fi too seriously. Although Cabin the Woods is essentially quite bland, parts of the concept were interesting and it salvaged itself by being pretty funny in places. My biggest gripe? They used Marilyn Manson's 'I Put A Spell On You' in the trailer... Whyyyyy oh whyyyyy?? You're making an indirect statement that this will live up to the horrors of Lost Highway :lol: (It didn't.)
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

Pi

Was definitely influenced by Eraserhead.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

Jacob's Ladder. Much of the imagery was influenced by Francis Bacon's art. Very interesting film.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

Water For Elephants made it to HBO. Pleasant,old fashioned 'dark circus' film, much influenced by the wonderful Carnivale series of fond memory. Robert Pattinson was fine, as he was in Remembe Me. Reese Witherspoon, miscast, was merely adequate.
I have never, either in Thailand or the USA, seen a 'purely affection trained' pachyderm. Apparently this one wasn't either.
Rebel
Great Northern Member

Post by Rebel »

Elvis Meets Nixon- Richard Beymer and The Great Star as well, Tony Curtis also starred in this film, just caught a glimpse of this film, has anyone seen it? I wanna check it out, need to check the whole film.
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

Django Unchained.

Loved it.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

Well, it was gonna be Winter's Bone, but the $5 BRD wouldn't play the feature. :cry:
So, Rowing With The Wind, 1988
Hugh Grant is barely adequate as Byron, but the girls are swell. Good bio-pic, not terribly accurate, but they got the characteizations right. The 'alter ego' twist of the Creature is tidily developed as an adjunct. 7/10, the best 'Haunted Summer' film I have seen.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

Mabuse, Der Spieler pt.1
I'm a Fritz Lang fan. This is interesting, but too slow.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I recently rewatched American Beauty after almost 15 years.

Found it even better now than then. For me everything in this film works. Each of the main characters (Kevin Spacey and his wife, his daughter and the guy with a camera, the blonde girl and the military father) convinces me 100%, I can relate to them, I care about them, I find myself in them (or against them). The visual qualities of the film are not meant to be mind-blowing but they remain in my head and they bear meanings so it is not only beautiful to watch but it all seems to have a deeper connection to more universal things. The music is very subtle, nothing to remember really but serves the purpose just right. The mood... I get lost in it completely. Perfect film.

I'm about to rewatch Usual Suspects, too (also haven't seen it since about 2000) so I'll have a good recollection of Spacey's Oscars ;)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

The last interesting one was Her. Good characterizations and acting all around. Too slow, however, and extremely derivative, like something from the late 80s..
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

I re-watched Citizen Kane. It never fails to dazzle.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Dancer in the Dark
I've never liked musicals nor have I been a fan of Björk but both the film and the performance of Björk are amazing.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

Dancer... is on my short List; Van Trier is all over the place artistically, but I loved Melancholia and much liked Breaking The Waves.
Shogun My wife and I waxed real nostalgic.Still the best Miniseries.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Nymphomaniac (1&2)