Last Film You Watched

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Re: Last Film You Watched

Post by Carl »

Frankenstein, the Hallmark version, about as faithful an adaptation as one might wish. This has the best Creature, beautifully realized by Luke Goss and the sexiest Elizabeth, dressed like a little regency barbie-doll that came complete with many costumes.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

The Searchers, with John Wayne.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Last night I watched Seul contre tous and Irreversible. Both of these films were really good in my opinion.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Little while ago I saw Cronenberg's History of Violence, and I have to say that I really loved it! Maybe his best film in my books, better than Dead Ringers even... I also like his older, more bizarre stuff but this film just had so much clear thought in it. And it was entertaining (and sex scene that I could relate to, that is something special in hollywood film). Nice performances all over but especially script and directing really got me. It really made you think about nature of violence and nature of human being. And I didn't think that it was really depressing, I found the ending actually quite positive...

But the reason I'm writing this is something completely different: I just saw Possession (1981) by Andrzej Zulawski. Wow. Sam Neil and especially Isabelle Adjani gave so strong performances (over the top actually but it fitted perfectly) that reminded me about some really strong physical theatre of Finland in the 80s (it was a local phenomenon orchestrated by one man, Jouko Turkka).

This film had it all (well, except great soundtrack) great cinematography that reminded me of Lynch and Antonioni (not as elegant obviously but very vivid). And it wasn't afraid to get close to the faces in best Bergman (Nykvist) tradition. I have always had a special place in my heart for older euro-horror (and all good old horror) among the great cinema and this film hit all the spots in my pleasure system.

It reminded me actually very much of Eraserhead, even though it wasn't as surreal (well that would've been pretty hard thing to pull off) but still. I don't want to spoil anything about it and I recommend that if you haven't seen it, don't read anything about it...

The version I saw was little over two hours long. I've heard that there is also some butchered US version of it, but I would avoid that.

IT really was cold in divided Berlin, I tell you. I am still wondering about pink socks.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

A Clockwork Orange

A film I've been meaning to see for years, and was happy to find it lived up to everything I thought it would.
The set design, wardrobe, acting and not to mention the language were superb.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

We saw The Wolfman last night.
A good, earnest, somewhat underwritten re-make, nothing great or anything, but with little camp, thankfully. The CGI sets ( and set design/art direction in general) were the best thing in the flic.
Benicio del Toro's performance was quite wooden, alas.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

Fiddler on the Roof
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

Taken
Archimboldi.

Post by Archimboldi. »

Manhattan. What an excellently shot film.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

Yep to Manhattan, good all around and also the first film where I realized that Allen had such short-eyes. :shock: :roll:
OT: Battlefield Earth on telly.
Unlike almost everyone else, I like it. The great feel of genuine old super-science pulp has rarely been so well captured in a big budget film.
OD: Punch Drunk Love.
Anderson is an interesting director, though has yet to make anything I've seen as downright impressive as Magnolia.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

Full Metal Jacket, I really enjoyed it. Kubrick was a genius.

Extract, was pretty funny. Plus I've been a huge fan of Jason Bateman since Arrested Development.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

Alice in Wonderland.

I didn't enjoy the plot as it was too predictable, I however did enjoy Johnny Depp's portrayal of the Mad Hatter. I'd give it 6/10.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Salvador
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

On TCM:Ran, Akira Kuroswa, part muscular adaptation of Lear, though according to the director this was not his original intent. Fabulous set and art design; ditto sound design and score. Excellent all around;deeply nihilistic( as in 'pessimistic'); Includes some bardo and ashura references.
He story-boarded each scene before filming. Wish I owned that set of artwork. Allegedly included as a bonus feature on some DVD release.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Rescue dawn