Last Book You Read

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Re: Last Book You Read

Post by Indifferent43 »

I'm just curious as to if/how they transferred John Galt's supposed three hour radio speech onto the screen.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

That part will be in Part III to be released in summer of 2014. They have to just show highlights of the speech. It's too early for any teaser trailers yet.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

Do you know if they'll have a new cast for the third installment? I'm interested now, so will be getting hold of the two so far.

I just finished Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut.
I enjoyed this witty and directly funny book a great deal; Vonnegut's style and hand drawn pictures added to the story's originality. I especially enjoyed his omniscient presence when dealing with the characters.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Indifferent43 wrote:Do you know if they'll have a new cast for the third installment? I'm interested now, so will be getting hold of the two so far.
They haven't said whether the cast will change again. To me it doesn't really matter; I created looks for the characters in my head when reading Ayn Rand's books. So all the whining about changing the cast just seems silly. I just hope John Galt is really good.

Have you read "The Fountainhead"? A movie was made in 1948; it's in Black and White and the screenplay was written by Ayn Rand. It's a little old-fashioned looking but pretty good.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

Atlas Shrugged was my first Rand book, but her other books are on my list. Just have a few other books to get through first. :)
I don't understand people who don't read!
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

Carrie by Stephen King
A quick depressing read; a story about how a girl grew up as an outsider and was always teased, and her brutal breaking point that was unleashed on the town.
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

RIP Iain M. Banks.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

The Red Pony by John Steinbeck
A pretty short book written by one of my favorite authors. Focuses on a 10 year old boy living on a ranch that is the center of four short and depressingly realistic stories.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium, #3) by Stieg Larsson

Sad this was his final book before he died. A good ending to the story though.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Did you know that Stieg had left almost a finished 4th novel on a computer with his magazine company? He also had manuscripts for a fifth and sixth book and had originally intended on a total of 10 in the series. Due to disputes with the family (they weren't married,) Eva has not been allowed to finish at least one of the books.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

I knew he was planning on having more in the series, but didn't know he already made manuscripts. Hopefully the disputes can be put aside and his remaining work can get polished and released in the future. Would be terrible if they never came to light.
I really respect all the effort and research he put into his books.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

Dan Brown - Inferno
3.5/5
The main theme of Dante's Inferno was pretty cool, and there was a lot of historical referencing which is to be expected of Dan Brown. The characters however lacked depth and were rather generic, so definitely a book for for someone who's only looking for a fast paced and rather thrilling read.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I love Dan Brown! Just bought Inferno and haven't had time to read it yet. The only book I was really disappointed with was The Lost Symbol. Have you read all his books? I thought the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons were the best, but if you haven't read Digital Fortress, it's great too!
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

I've read them all. :)

Read four of them when I was still in high school, so the details for the two non Langdon books are a bit fuzzy, but I remember enjoying them. The Da Vinci Code was the first book I read of his, and I thought it was a brilliant page turner with its unique historical spin. Inferno is good, but basically follows the same continuous action story with him on the run, which makes it not as unique as his previous books. Curious what you think of his new book since its ending is rather interesting.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut

I thought this book was very different from Vonnegut's other books; lacking his usual humor and random style. However, this book is brilliant in it's own right. Mother Night offers a unique perspective of the atrocities of Nazis during the Second World War, and the aftermath that one man has to face after being complaint as a Nazi propaganda agent.