Battlestar Galactica

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
dugpa
Site Admin

Battlestar Galactica

Post by dugpa »

Any Battlestar Galactica fans on the board?
Owls

Re: Battlestar Galactica

Post by Owls »

Actually yes.
I thought this was a lame scifi show until my trusted Lynch-fan friend had me watch season 1-3 and I was quite surpsired by the show. I like how season 2 went into a toally different direction too.
iefan

Post by iefan »

Is anyone looking forward to seeing THE PLAN or the prequel called Caprica?

Does the several different characters SIX plays in BSG remind anyone of the different roles and types of characters Dern plays in IE?

:?:
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

I am BSG fan... of the original series! Man I loved that show when I was kid! Nowadays it is guite turkey but I saw it few years ago and it was still charming, but I have to admit that I have soft spot for turkeys. They say that the new BSG is really good but it didn't catch me. Maybe I didn't give it enough chance. Older cylons with vocoder and skirts were just so cool. ;)

And that beginning title sequence was one of the alltime TV greats. Up there with TP actually.

Maybe one thing that I miss in these modern TV shows is that they are thematically so far from me. It's always war and terror and paranoia. And to get harsher and harsher. I understand that they deal with certain american psyche but I just don't connect to it nowadays...
iefan

Post by iefan »

Like you I was also a fan of TOS. Richard Hatch was also nice "Eye Candy." Before TOS, also watched him on a Soap Opera called All My Children (where he got the girl pregnant who also plays the other girl John Travolta falls in love with in Saturday Night Fever).

Have you seen BLADE RUNNER? The robots in the NEWER version of BSG are like them. They are also SKIN JOBS who've EVOLVED to the point where humans can no longer tell the difference between humans and Robots anymore. And that's also what makes it such an effective HORROR Story.

The original Robots are also still there in the New show. They also look more FREAKY and SCARY than the Robots in the original show. These SILVER METAL ROBOTS also round up the 40 or 50,000 humans that are left and put them into a concentration camp in Season 3. Watching a army of these Robots walking inbetween the group of humans who are watching them walk by is also a very CREEPY scene.

You also see these OLDER MODELS of Robots many more times in the show as well.

Anyhow, THE PLAN (scheduled to be aired in Nov) is also a show that's told from the CYLON or the Robots point of view. So I'm looking forward to seeing this too.

And CAPRICA is also a story where they DOWNLOAD the consciousness of human beings into the bodies of machines. So that should also be interesting to watch as well.

So how would you feel about that? Having someone place your conscious mind or the mind of a loved one into the body of a machine? Would something like that terrify you? Make you feel paranoid? Make you feel the need to go to war with others who do such a thing?

:?:

Remember what happens to the people in SOLARIS when they encounter the conscious minds of their loved ones which have also been placed into another body?

Chaos also ensues on the SOLARIS Space Station after that. Right?

:wink:
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Hey, thanks iefan! This sounds actually very interesting. I have to check if I can find these seasons on DVD cheaply. This shouldn't be no problem as it is available on many stores here.

I actually don't have TV anymore (well I have the apparatus but not this digibox that is needed in Finland nowadays to watch the digital transmissions). I actually felt so free after losing all those channels. Now I can just watch anything I want on DVD and I am not imprisoned by this damn remote and endless BBC news channels etc. :)

Lately I've been watching Seinfeld and british Lovejoy again, sweet stuff.

BTW I really enjoyed that other scifi show, Firefly. Damn those fools that cancelled it.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

gavriloP wrote: BTW I really enjoyed that other scifi show, Firefly. Damn those fools that cancelled it.
If you liked Firefly, I think you will enjoy the new BSG. Visually the two are very similar. I think the same effects house did BSG. It is definitely one of my favorite shows next to Twin Peaks.

I'm looking forward to "the Plan" which I believe comes out this month sometime on DVD. Caprica also looks interesting. I saw the Pilot and am looking forward to see how it unravels.

One other thing that BSG has is an AWESOME soundtrack by composes Bear McCreary. I've actually seen him in concert 3 times now and can't get enough of his scores.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Wonderful series (the new one) that shows that some reimaginings can work. Liked the original as a child.

I just upgraded to the complete Blu-ray set. Really enjoying Caprica, but annoyed they've messed up the flow of the series by waiting to show season 1.5 until January!