What's Your View On Torrents?

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

What's Your View On Torrents?

Post by Buck's Student »

Does everyone here pretty much think torrents are wrong, or do you guys have no problem with them?
Carl
RR Diner Member

Re: What's Your View On Torrents?

Post by Carl »

I have no moral or ethical problem with them. I dl mostly music, so I usually simply wait for Google to lead me to what I want without the 'middleman' software.
As a side-bar, I found the two disc special edition of IE ( which I have owned since its release; I waited long enough for that.) for $3.99, pre-viewed, at Blockbuster, so I fail to see that dl'ing movies seriously affects anyone's profit margin. It seems simpler to me than a dl just to wait until the vendors must make more shelf space and so remainder their stock.
Once again, beware: the Windows Vista( 64 bit) as of next February will have the technical ability and legal authority to shut down( remotely) any system that dl's copyrighted material. crApple already has this ability, both iPhone and their laptops. This outrageous intrusion by Big Business and Big Brother seems far more worriesome to me than the problem it was intended to solve.
Let's face it: the 'music industry' is moribund and soon will be an art form, pure and simple. Good!
I think that relatively cheap digital video, as indicated already by IE, can move the 'film industry' the same way. We shall see.
human germ
Roadhouse Member

Post by human germ »

well, i confess to having pirated just oodles os music.
alas, i have never been able to figure out how to use those torrents.
done bun; can't be undone
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

Carl wrote:I have no moral or ethical problem with them. I dl mostly music, so I usually simply wait for Google to lead me to what I want without the 'middleman' software.
As a side-bar, I found the two disc special edition of IE ( which I have owned since its release; I waited long enough for that.) for $3.99, pre-viewed, at Blockbuster, so I fail to see that dl'ing movies seriously affects anyone's profit margin. It seems simpler to me than a dl just to wait until the vendors must make more shelf space and so remainder their stock.
Once again, beware: the Windows Vista( 64 bit) as of next February will have the technical ability and legal authority to shut down( remotely) any system that dl's copyrighted material. crApple already has this ability, both iPhone and their laptops. This outrageous intrusion by Big Business and Big Brother seems far more worriesome to me than the problem it was intended to solve.
Let's face it: the 'music industry' is moribund and soon will be an art form, pure and simple. Good!
I think that relatively cheap digital video, as indicated already by IE, can move the 'film industry' the same way. We shall see.
You're kidding me about the Vista thing, right?

Shit. I may need to check into that.
Carl
RR Diner Member

Post by Carl »

Just the 64 bit version, to my understanding. That's why the poor schmuck we saw pilloried a couple of month's ago in the 'show trial' in Ma was said to be the last prosecution planned. Now, they will use tech means.
Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Post by Buck's Student »

Carl wrote:Just the 64 bit version, to my understanding. That's why the poor schmuck we saw pilloried a couple of month's ago in the 'show trial' in Ma was said to be the last prosecution planned. Now, they will use tech means.
Hmm... It won't last. Record companies got in trouble for having software on albums that would feed information to them, just to track if music was being stolen.

I have only read that they will only shut it down if you have an "illegal" downloaded version of Windows.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

I rely on torrents a lot for my entertainment collection, mostly because the music I'm interested in is not available in the cd shops where I live. I've also been able to find some good rarities on the net, including some Lynch gems!