Has anybody watched David wants to fly ?

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Has anybody watched David wants to fly ?

Post by Mb3 »

It's a documentary by a german filmmaker about transcendental meditation and David Lynch is also among the many people who were interviewed for this movie. So did anybody get the chance to see this movie yet ? I'm still not quite sure if I'm going to watch it since I'm mainly interested in David Lynchs art rather than his private life and TM.
este

Re: Has anybody watched David wants to fly ?

Post by este »

Trailer in english here

A critical point of view about TM... at last !
tausendsassa
Roadhouse Member

Post by tausendsassa »

I haven't seen the movie yet, but here is a link to its German website:
http://www.davidwantstofly.de

There is also an English version:
http://www.davidwantstofly.com/

The German synopsis mentions David Lynch threatening to sue the film team. Does anyone know more about this claim?
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

I loved the documentary and I also practice TM. I find no contradiction whatsoever.

It was well put together, very informative and completely eye opening. I think the director was very fair and was looking for answers to questions any of us would have asked. It's not so much about TM being a cult but rather how absolute power can corrupt. I think anyone who practices TM should see it.

Questioning one's believes will either strengthen your resolve and beliefs or make you realize you're following the wrong path. Simple as that.

As for David Lynch suing. He never did. I think he just wanted to make sure his interviews weren't taken out of context, and they weren't at all. David is not portrayed in a bad light at all! He actually tells the young David to seek out his own truth and if others want to be negative, they can just simply go away. No one is forcing them to try TM.

You have to be able to differentiate between a personal practice and the institution that is running it. Not much different from personal spirituality/teachings people follow and the various churches that try to co-op it.