Rare tornado puts Springfield, Massachusetts on the map

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Snogster707
Roadhouse Member

Rare tornado puts Springfield, Massachusetts on the map

Post by Snogster707 »

A tornado touched down in my city Wednesday afternoon! I was sitting on the front porch and had seen a huge swirling cloud of debris, which was actually downtown Springfield, mass, which is half a mile from my street. Then I heard a jet engine noise, and I'd thought it was a jet plane. I decided to go indoors, heading for the cellar, though. Good thing I did, as when I'd gone into my friend's apt, and was passing through her dining room, my ears popped. Apparently, the funnel cloud passed over the street and the house at that point. When I'd gotten tom her back door and opened it, I was shocked at the many many trees that were either down or were splintered. The one big tree in our back yard was down, but very luckily for us, landed across the rear of the yard, and not on the house. I live in an attic apt in a 2 family house. A couple minutes later, I ran upstairs to check my apt. Nothing was damaged. My cat was under my bed. I couldn't get her to come out. I was worried we'd still have more high winds, but nothing more happened. Whew. I am sooooo lucky that not only am I alive, but that the house was undamaged pretty much. Others were not so lucky. The tornado touched down in other neighborhoods and obliterated homes. Ive been told that homes on a street over are gone, many of them new habitat for humanity houses. We here on my street were spared. The funnel cloud would touch down from time to time. If I had done so on my street, houses would be piles of lumber. Worse, there could be loss of life, both human and animal.
Tornadoes are rare in this city. The last one was a hundred years ago. Hopefully, we won't have any tornadic activity again in our lifetimes!
Rebel
Great Northern Member

Re: Rare tornado puts Springfield, Massachusetts on the map

Post by Rebel »

just wanderin how far is the town Dexter from you? wow, should have a bit cooler weather in your state right? just readin your post and that was awhile back, (your post) how is it now? tornadoes are very wicked but very beautiful. hope all is well if ya live near that town.
Rebel
Great Northern Member

Post by Rebel »

WOW a Horrific day here Tornadoes rippin through, I live about 30 miles from Arlington and Dallas Area. dont matter those storms can hop around. it got very dark here and heavy rain and I heard sirens. LOTS this Afternoon had the matress and wanted to be prepared to take cover in the bathroom, closet. it was very very WICKED!!!!
I heard that at least 12 tornadoes touched down. from what the weathermen said earlier.
Snogster707
Roadhouse Member

Post by Snogster707 »

I don't know where Dexter is. But, yes, it's been very cool the last couple weeks, tho 3 weeks ago, we had summer weather in the middle of march! While I did enjoy it, I worried about it being very warm and humid, too, from mid march thru late September! So I am glad that normal weather is back.

Oh, man, youre not far from the tornadoes in Texas. How frightening. I hope everything is ok, and that your home didn't sustain any damage. Last year, any time a violent storm was predicted, I would take my big cat with me downstairs to my friend's ground floor apt and go into a closet under a set of stairs, as I'd heard that that's a good place to go for shelter.

I'd heard on the news a couple weeks ago, that world govts should be prepared for more violent storms due to global warming. Gee, doesn't do much to put one at ease.
Rebel
Great Northern Member

Post by Rebel »

yeah it was very scarey, glad to hear the sirens, but yes always be prepared, flashlights, candles , a portable batterie radio guess ya call that and just not always depend on the weather guys, always go for shelter no matter what when ya hear strong storms or see for yourself that developes.just need to be prepared stroms here can be like I said hopscotch. when I see tornado watch/warning on t.v. or hear on the radio damn right I'll take cover!!! that's it! the safer hopefully the better!