Cannes Film Festival Awards

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Annie
Global Moderator

Cannes Film Festival Awards

Post by Annie »

I usually do a running commentary on Cannes, but due to the poor condition of my computer, I didn't this year.
The Palme d'Or was just awarded today; so here are all the winners:

Palme d'Or: Amour (Love) directed by Michael Haneke

Grand Prix: Reality directed by Matteo Garrone

Best Director: Carlos Reygadas for Post Tenebras Lux

Best Screenplay: Cristian Mungiu for Dupa Dealuri (Beyond the Hills)

Best Actress: Cristina Flutur in Dupa Dealuri (Beyond the Hills) directed by Cristian Mungiu

Best Actor: Mads Mikkelsen in Jagten (The Hunt) directed by Thomas Vinterberg

Jury Prize: The Angels' Share directed by Ken Loach

If you want more details, go to http://www.festival-cannes.fr/en/archiv ... ition.html
Picture below is of the Cannes Jury.
Attachments
cannes jury.png
cannes jury.png (263.74 KiB) Viewed 5922 times
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Melong
RR Diner Member

Re: Cannes Film Festival Awards

Post by Melong »

In three days time I'll get to see Prometheus. Finally. I haven't been to the cinema in years. :D
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I haven't become a fan of Michael Haneke so far... but we'll see. It is said to be quite different from Haneke's previous works. I'm even expecting it might be his Straight Story of you know what I mean :wink:
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I've never heard of Michael Haneke. Guess I should just go look him up at IMDB. Sounds like you like his work!!
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Yes, You Will Get to See Michael Haneke’s Palme d’Or-Winning ‘Amour’
Movie News By Kate Erbland on May 29, 2012

If you find the holidays to not be wrenching and desperate enough, Sony Pictures Classics has just announced that they will release their recently acquired Palme d’Or-winning film, Amour, in theaters in New York and Los Angeles on December 19th. Filmmaker Michael Haneke just won the prestigious Palme d’Or at this year’s Cannes Film Festival this past weekend, making him only the seventh director to win the Golden Fronds of Awesome or Whatever twice (no director has ever won it more than twice). He previously won in 2009 for The White Ribbon.

The film centers on aging couple Georges (Jean-Louis Trintignant) and Anne (Emmanuelle Riva), who must deal with the after-effects of an attack that Anne suffers. It’s been billed as a stirring rumination on life, death, aging, love, and marriage, and was almost universally hailed at the festival (of course, there have been a handful of critics who have voiced their displeasure with it, so it will be quite interesting to see how it plays to larger audiences).

This is the third film of Haneke’s that SPC has distributed, as they have also previously released both Cache and The White Ribbon.
Attachments
michael haneke.jpg
michael haneke.jpg (77.5 KiB) Viewed 5892 times