Euro 2012

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Euro 2012

Post by BOB1 »

Hey - anybody watching the games?

My country is the host, my country has (rather shamefully) lost but all in all it looks like a particularly successful tournament, the matches are very interesting and there hasn't been a 0-0 match yet!
Right now I can hear my family cheering from the living room as they watch Italy vs. Ireland ('a great match!', they call me, so I'd better go and see :D)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Melong
RR Diner Member

Re: Euro 2012

Post by Melong »

I have no love for football. I hate the giant players', trainers' and commentators' egos, the biyearly tournament orange mass psychosis, the hooliganism of club football, and the year round omnipresence of football in the media.

To hell with football.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

BOB1, since you're new here, I decided to look up what Euro 2012 is. Unfortunately, most people in the US have no idea what sports championships are going on overseas. Since Poland is one of the hosts, are you able to attend any of the games in person? Good luck!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

No, personally no, because I hate quite a number of things, too, that Melong mentioned in his post... mostly those connected with the fan "culture". Nevertheless I love watching the great tournaments in national football (as opposed to club games such as Champions League, which theoretically have a higher level - but somehow I don't find any excimetement in them). Every two years - World Cup/ Euro/ World Cup/ Euro etc. - I sink in compeletely for about a month and watch most of the matches available. And that's a lot of time wasted! (though I can't say I feel it as a waste).
I decided to look up what Euro 2012 is
With all due respect, that's a very unusual thing to me! It sounds kind of like someone here said: 'since you asked, I decided to check who Barrack Obama is' :wink:
Well of course technically it's a bad example, everybody 'overseas' knows who Obama is (while they probably have no idea about any American Football or NHL or Baseball games, and that would be a better example) - but what I mean to say is that the popularity of football here surpasses by far popularity of most other things that exist!

And Euro has just ended the group phase with both hosts (Poland and Ukraine) unfortunately out... and after a rest day the quarter-finals start.

1. Czech Rep. - Portugal
2. Germany - Greece
3. Spain - France
4. England - Italy

Looking forward to! :D
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Looks like the best Euro/World Cup final that I can remember since 1988 when Holland beat USSR... hope they don't screw it up in the second half of the match!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB