True Detective

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Melong
RR Diner Member

True Detective

Post by Melong »

Has anybody else been following True Detective on HBO? Brilliant so far. And the acting, wow. Better than just about anything you can catch at the cinema these days.

Episode 5 airs tonight.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Re: True Detective

Post by gavriloP »

This is an amazing show! I haven't been this mesmerized by a TV show in ages. By the time they mentioned The King in Yellow I knew this is gonna be the next Twin Peaks for me. It will take some serious turns, I presume.

Every aspect of this show has been so great. And like you said, it is very cinematic, just like films should be. The story itself has same kind of "literal" style like The Wire. They both seem like novels and I mean that in a good way.

I've seen 5 episodes and eagerly waiting for the next one!

With shows like this on the air, I think Lynch would have no problems doing more TV in the future.
Rebel
Great Northern Member

Post by Rebel »

gonna check it, matthew and woody great actors these days indeed! 8)
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

Rebel
Great Northern Member

Post by Rebel »

All I can say is WOW! that last eps. was really tops! but I dont think matthew will be on the second season of eps., am I right, why? dang! anyway, hope Woody will be. he's a great actor as well!
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

Different actors and story every season, I believe. Matthew sure deserved that oscar.
AgnililaOzwald
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgnililaOzwald »

Does anyone know if there is going to be another season?
Garbanzo I OM
Rebel
Great Northern Member

Post by Rebel »

Was reading up on that, Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn might be in season 2,who knows? it's tight lipped. just wish Matthew and Woody would be in season 2 if it ever happens.
AgnililaOzwald
Roadhouse Member

Post by AgnililaOzwald »

hmm interesting...i think i'd also prefer if they use the same two actors...hopefully there'll be another season.
Garbanzo I OM
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

I had hyper high hopes for True Detective as everyone seemed to love it. It ended up being one of the most disappointing tv series I have ever seen. I went through all the episodes, hoping it would get better. I recall the episode 5 being moderately interesting, and the final scene in the final episode was fantastic (in my opinion that was the only scene where the acting was brilliant while in the rest of the series it went from pretty ok to annoying - the annoying parts were mostly the present day interrogation scenes with McConaughey, there was something very much off for my liking).

Had I watched it on tv, week by week, I wouldn't have continued past the first episode. Well, maybe the episode ending "now let's start asking some real questions", or whatever he said, might've been an interesting "cliffhanger" to at least take a look at the second episode, but when those interesting questions didn't ever happen, I think the episode 2 would've been the last I would've watched. I subscribed to HBO Nordic just to see the show, so I thought I'd watch all the episodes. Perhaps it would get better, I thought, but it never really did apart from some moments on episode 5 and the ending scene of the whole series.

I've now read tons of articles and reviews about the series and still don't get what people see in it. Even some articles that criticize it are saying it's still a good show. And I've seen many people claiming that those who don't like it are just disliking it because it's trendy to dislike something popular (the last time was in the interview of John Thorne, the editor of Wrapped in Plastic - which actually made me look up if there would be a thread about this movie in this forum). I don't know if I should be offended by that claim or just to leave it be, but just like those who disliked the Twin Peaks series and/or Fire Walk with Me, their views can be 100% honest even if we love it.

I don't mind seeing slow "boring" shows, but usually even in real life people's boring lives include lots of small things that are interesting. In True Detective, both the case and the lives of the characters fell very flat to my liking.

Oh well, I guess it's cool that people love it.

I don't know what I should think about the second season. I remember not liking the first season of LOST at all, but found the cliffhanger interesting enough to take a peek at the second season, and suddenly the first episode hooked me instantly. Now, with True Detective it could be interesting to see where it all goes with the new view on life McConaughey's character had and with all the metaphysical things going on. But then again there will be new actors with new story. They could write a better story this time, but then again it's possible that it will be just the same but with new actors. I don't know... Maybe I should give the first episode of the second season a chance.
Rebel
Great Northern Member

Post by Rebel »

well,thanks on your opinion,at least it beats these reality shows every person has different taste,that's my look on it.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

I've been wanting to re-watch Season 1, but long after the initial viewing (as it aired) I'm still disappointed. To be sure, the first 5 episodes are very good, occasionally outstanding, with a great rich atmosphere to them and some beautiful photography. But the 6th episode shows signs of stagnation, and the last two just blow the whole thing to pieces. Suddenly we're being given exposition by the bucket-full, and suddenly the show is turning into a cliche-fest. The finale was especially mediocre. We get some incestuous hillbillies for villains (seen that -- they should have been more menacing); we get a horribly tedious, stock-standard action-scene showdown in which the heros are gravely wounded but nonetheless survive and kill the Bad Guy (seen that); and, worst of all, we get a terrible final scene in which an entire character is altered suddenly via deus ex machina to be exactly the philosophical opposite of what he always was, just so we can get a trite (and unearned) "happy" ending (seen that, too). The first 5 episodes were awfully intriguing, but man what a letdown. I can't understand the mounds of outsized praise this has been getting since January, as it's nowhere near the level of HBO masterpieces such as Sopranos, The Wire, Carnivale, Deadwood, or Six Feet Under. Still going to be tuning in for Season 2 though, of course, and it's much better than 99% of television right now. But this is no successor to the aforementioned shows, at least not based off the wildly inconsistent first season.
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

I also felt let down by the finale. I'm currently rewatching season 1 (episode 3 is next).
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

Season 2 premiere episode was a let down.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Melong wrote:Season 2 premiere episode was a let down.
Indeed. I thought it was poorly directed, poorly written, disjointed, and quite ugly (meaning likely uglier than the intended scenic ugliness). The second one was less of a mess, though still not great. It was the same director. Let's hope it keeps improving and finds its way to someplace really good.

For me the first three or four episodes of season one were the peak.