Hannibal Season 2

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Annie
Global Moderator

Hannibal Season 2

Post by Annie »

Just wondering if any of you are watching Hannibal now. I tried to continue the old thread, but it seems to have drifted off. I bought the Season 1 Boxed Set and have been watching that (since I don't have a TV.) Love all the references to the books...
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Annie
Global Moderator

Re: Hannibal Season 2

Post by Annie »

Obviously, no one wants to talk about this. I'm almost done. And now I don't like it. Way too gory. Not an homage to Thomas Harris. A made-up story copying a LOT of dialogue to make you think this is how it might have been. Hannibal was much more attractive when you didn't see him in action (aka Anthony Hopkins.) This new guy is a good actor but it just doesn't do it for me. I definitely don't like what they've done to Will Graham; he wasn't verging on crazy in Red Dragon. He is my favorite character, though.

I think I'll reread the novels and that's it for me. Guess I should have known. Love the books; love the movies (except for Red Dragon) and hate the TV show.
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

Annie, I hadn't noticed your previous post, or else I would have responded.

The gore is not where the attraction lies for me. It's all about the characters. I have no problem with this alternate universe take on Hannibal, but I'm not surprised a long time fan of Thomas Harris' work would feel different.

I'm sorry you did not like what you saw. Perhaps you could sell the box set on ebay and recover some of the money you spent?
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Melong, thanks. I'm just so disappointed. I can't remember whether Thomas Harris was consulted on this. I was hoping to fill in the blanks, even when Hannibal was in med school, but this is so off base. Luckily, I think it was the week before the season 2 started, Amazon was selling the season 1 sets for half price, so I didn't waste a lot of money.