Wayward Pines

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Rebel
Great Northern Member

Wayward Pines

Post by Rebel »

Series Premiere Thursday May 14 on FOX.
dl_fan
Roadhouse Member

Re: Wayward Pines

Post by dl_fan »

The first episode is available on Hulu now.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Rebel, please report back on this. I don't have a TV. Thanks.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Deppo

Post by Deppo »

I'm not sure if what I've seen was the first episode or a series preview because it was about 40-odd minutes long. Very obvious Lynch references and influence. Shots focussing on ceiling fans etc, very dreamlike atmosphere...but nothing quite has Lynch's vision like, well you know who...hello everyone btw.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

It was a preview and the first episode of the season...it was great, I'm just sad that I can't experience the whole story for the first time as I've read the books. So I'm looking forward to seeing other people's reactions.
snoghumangerm
Roadhouse Member

Post by snoghumangerm »

Gonna watch it either on TV or, lol, if I fall asleep, I'll watch in on my fox app on the ol iPad. I'm reading Pines right now. The author explains in an afterword to the novel that he was greatly influenced and impressed by twin peaks. I can see some elements of TP in the book. It's a fast and easy read and I'm enjoying it.
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I watched the first episode tonight and to tell you the truth, didn't enjoy it too much. For my taste too horror-like and way too claustrophobic. Still it can be a good show but any similarities to Twin Peaks were (at least in this episode) VERY superficial. Filming tricks, perhaps. General topic, obviously. But it lacks the Twin Peaks characteristics where the mundane meets the most unusual. In that first episode EVERYTHING was unusual to the limits as a result of which the human factor was like... missing? There was no single character I would care for so what's there for me to get involved?
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Rebel
Great Northern Member

Post by Rebel »

I was not thrilled about it .just wanted to check it out.
TwinPeaksFanatic
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinPeaksFanatic »

Some thoughts on the Wayward books and pilot.

http://twinpeaksfanatic.blogspot.com/20 ... peaks.html

:D
snoghumangerm
Roadhouse Member

Post by snoghumangerm »

^I agree with what you'd said in your blog. I replied to it but couldnt gain access as I don't remember, nor had I written down, my google password. (Pain the is ass these damned passwords!!)

I read the 1st 2 books in the trilogy and await the next when it's availiable from my library system. Indeed, it's frank sci fi meets horror. The premise of the trilogy is quite fascinating.

Little in common with tP...except for some superficial stuff such as the lazily turning ceiling fans.

Stands well enough on its own. I'll continue to watch the TV series. I've watched the first two episodes on fox TV as well as the fox app. ( and, yes, lol, Id fallen asleep during both eps. I get sleepy early...)
Ygdrasel
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ygdrasel »

Never heard of the books. Only watched in the first place because the commercials had a Twin Peaks vibe. Enjoyed episode one well enough. Clear Twin Peaks/Lynch influences but altogether a very different beast so the TP bits being 'superficial' is no big deal.
Twin Peaks has layers, man. Twin Peaks is an onion. 8)
BlackOwl

Post by BlackOwl »

This big reveal in first book was.. cheap and well, sort of stupid. And the show is following books step by step, so my guess is, the big reveal will be in tonight's episode. Such a letdown...
snoghumangerm
Roadhouse Member

Post by snoghumangerm »

I pre ordered the DVD set on eBay this morning. Release date in the U.S. is 10/13/15

I enjoyed this series very much as well as the book trilogy
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

It was recently shown on U.K too on FOX t.v, which again I only watched because of the Peaksy "feel" it tried to have. I couldn't get into it but that was probably as a result of it not making much sense and I found a bit blah. I even fell asleep during an episode.
The Angels will return...
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Really liked it, season 1 that is. Season 2 is an abomination
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."