Thomas Ligotti

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Thomas Ligotti

Post by Dead Dog »

Are there any Ligotti devotees here? Although different voices, what draws me to Ligotti is the same thing that draws me to Lynch. Besides the fact that he is a masterful writer, he dabbles in that same weird area between reality and something not quite real. A destabilization of the psyche. The mundane becoming macabre. And the lack of answers, the way you are left wanting more. As Borges said, quoted by Ligotti himself "the imminence of a revelation that never occurs is the definitive aesthetic experience."

Lynch fans should at the very least give one of his short stories a try.
mistahc

Re: Thomas Ligotti

Post by mistahc »

I read Teatro Grottesco. I thought The Town Manager, The Red Tower, The Clown Puppet, and Sideshow were especially unsettling/disturbing/scary. Most of the others I just didn't really get.

I really like Borges, though.
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

I read the non-fiction The Conspiracy Against the Human Race. I intend to read some of his fiction as well one of these days.
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

Dead Dog wrote:Are there any Ligotti devotees here? Although different voices, what draws me to Ligotti is the same thing that draws me to Lynch. Besides the fact that he is a masterful writer, he dabbles in that same weird area between reality and something not quite real. A destabilization of the psyche. The mundane becoming macabre. And the lack of answers, the way you are left wanting more. As Borges said, quoted by Ligotti himself "the imminence of a revelation that never occurs is the definitive aesthetic experience."

Lynch fans should at the very least give one of his short stories a try.
Yes! Ligotti's great- well and truly creepy. I too think there is a shared sensibility between Lynch and Ligotti- though they are both different and do their own things. Definitely an author Lynch fans should check out- I really love his short stories- really great, short blasts of weirdness and creepiness.