The time Russ Tamblyn met The Manson Family

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Just a great little story i found about Russ Tamblyn, written by his daughter Amber, that tells us a bit about Russ as a person and also his encounter with Charles Manson and two of his mansonites in the '60s. i found it interesting so maybe you will too:

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/harrie ... er-sleeps/
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Re: The time Russ Tamblyn met The Manson Family

Post by Saturn's child »

Great read; thanks! :D
I especially loved (article spoiler alert, I guess...) the image of Russ picking up a branch & using it as a walking stick.
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

Nice! Have to watch more of Russ Tamblyns older work from the musical days. I don't like musicals very much, but have started to appreciate the talent of physical timing people working within the genre had in those golden days. It's an underrated talent nowadays.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I remember reading somewhere that Richard Beymer briefly dated Sharon Tate in the early 60's.
I wonder if Russ met her as well.
tmurry
Roadhouse Member

Post by tmurry »

That is surreal. https://simply-sharon-tate.tumblr.com/p ... graphed-in It's like one more datapoint turned "cool, the #1 and #2 Jets are on a show together" into a parallel lives, surface/undercurrent version of how the boomer ethic played out.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

man, Sharon Tate was such a beautiful, pure looking wonder of a human being.. look at the great movie "Night of the Vampire Killers", an early Polanski and i believe the film where he met her. what an aura and screen presence.. such a tragedy, all wasted for a ritual offering in classic Laurel Canyon style.

watch the movie "Tess" dedicated to her, if you haven't seen it.. one of her last wishes was for her newfound husband was to make a screen adaption of her favorite novel, "Tess of D'Urberville" by Thomas Hardy. it was released in 1979 and is one of Polanski's most beautiful movies - it's his "Barry Lyndon" if you will (no matter what i think of Polanski as a human being, and a lot of these other Holy Wood creeps, i separate art from the artist). R.I.P. Sharon Tate.
the woods
Roadhouse Member

Post by the woods »

"the fearless vampire killers" ...yes!
"tess", others posting about "the tenent" here quite a bit.
i'm happy to see so much affection for this wonderful filmmaker.
read his autobiography if you get a chance - "roman". it's one of the best autobiographies i have ever read.
this guy has lived the lives of five people at least in the space of just one.

i enjoyed this article. for you guys looking for some of russ tamblyn's earlier films, may i suggest a terrific 1969
exploitation film called "free grass" (sometimes sold as "scream free"). it's a way over the top psychedelic feel
film that teams tamblyn once again with richard beymer. great performances by both stars!

next step: rocket science!